World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Almo Collegio Capranica

Article Id: WHEBN0017524391
Reproduction Date:

Title: Almo Collegio Capranica  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Massimo Introvigne, Luigi Maglione, Domenico Sorrentino, Early life of Pope Pius XII, Collegium Germanicum et Hungaricum, Clericus Cup, Domenico Capranica
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Almo Collegio Capranica

The Almo Collegio Capranica is the oldest Roman college, founded in 1457 by Cardinal Domenico Capranica in his own palace for 31 young clerics, who received an education suitable for the formation of good priests. Capranica himself drew up their rules and presented the college with his own library, the more valuable portion of which was later transferred to the Vatican. The cardinal's brother, Angelo Capranica, erected opposite his own palace a suitable house for the students.

When the Constable de Bourbon laid siege to Rome in 1527, the Capranica students were among the few defenders of the Porta di S. Spirito, and all of them with their rector fell at the breach. The rector, according to the university custom of those days, was elected by the students and was always one of them. Pope Alexander VII decided that the rector should be appointed by the protectors of the college.

After the French Revolution, the college was re-established in 1807; the number of free students was reduced to 13, but paying students were admitted. Currently, the college has over 50 students.

The Capranica has produced many notable ecclesiastics, including among its alumni Popes Benedict XV and Pius XII, and numerous cardinals.

Alumni

  • Card Pietro Pavan (1903–1994)
  • Card Antonio Vico (1847–1929)
  • Card Alessandro Sanminiatelli Zabarella (1840 — 1910)
  • Arch Alfonso Carinci (1862–1963) Secretary S.C. dei Riti (1945–1960) Rector of the Capranica (1911–1930)

See also

External links

  • Official Site of the Almo Collegio Capranica

References

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.