World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Auchy-lès-Hesdin

Article Id: WHEBN0012858290
Reproduction Date:

Title: Auchy-lès-Hesdin  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Arrondissement of Montreuil, Communauté de communes de l'Hesdinois, List of Benedictine monasteries in France
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Auchy-lès-Hesdin

Auchy-lès-Hesdin

Coat of arms
Auchy-lès-Hesdin
Auchy-lès-Hesdin

Coordinates: 50°23′54″N 2°06′11″E / 50.3983°N 2.1031°E / 50.3983; 2.1031Coordinates: 50°23′54″N 2°06′11″E / 50.3983°N 2.1031°E / 50.3983; 2.1031

Country France
Region Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Department Pas-de-Calais
Arrondissement Montreuil-sur-Mer
Canton Le Parcq
Intercommunality Hesdinois
Government
 • Mayor (2008–2014) Jean-Claude Darque
Area
 • Land1 9.61 km2 (3.71 sq mi)
Population (2009)
 • Population2 1,714
 • Population2 density 180/km2 (460/sq mi)
INSEE/Postal code 62050 / 62770
Elevation 30–122 m (98–400 ft)
(avg. 33 m or 108 ft)

1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.

2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.

Auchy-lès-Hesdin is a commune in the Pas-de-Calais department and Nord-Pas-de-Calais region of France.

Geography

Auchy is situated on the D94 some 29 km (18 mi) east-southeast of Montreuil on the banks of the Ternoise, a tributary of the river Canche.

History

Formerly called Auchy-les-Moines, the village owes its origin to the monastery founded by Saint Sylvain, who came here from Toulouse in 700. Destroyed by the Normans, the monastery was rebuilt in the 11th century by the Counts of Hesdin, and entrusted to the Benedictine monks of St Bertin (see Saint-Omer) in 1072.

Population

Sights

The abbey church

The pillars of the nave and the first span of the choir date back to the middle of the 12th century, the last two sections of the choir around 1200. They are the only remnants of the original church, which had to be almost entirely rebuilt after its collapse in 1280.
In 1415, several of the knights killed at Agincourt were buried here, including the Admiral of France, Jacques de Châtillon. Two decades later, the constant state of war forced the monks to desert the abbey, where they returned in 1457. Pillaged and burned by troops on several occasions during the 16th century, the buildings of the monastery were restored in the early 17th century. They were used as a textile mill after the Revolution and, with the exception of the abbey church, were finally destroyed by a fire in 1834.

Weir

A large and impressive weir on the river is a tourist attraction.

See also

References

  • INSEE commune file

External links

  • Auchy-lès-Hesdin on the Quid website (French)
  • Official town website (French)
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.