World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Avenida Sarmiento

Article Id: WHEBN0045383875
Reproduction Date:

Title: Avenida Sarmiento  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Monument to the Carta Magna and Four Regions of Argentina, Parque Tres de Febrero, Avenida de Mayo, 9 de Julio Avenue, Florida Street
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Avenida Sarmiento

Location of Sarmiento Avenue in Buenos Aires.

Avenida General Sarmiento is an avenue located in the Palermo neighborhood, in Buenos Aires, Argentina. It runs from Plaza Italia to the Costanera Rafael Obligado Avenue, across the Parque Tres de Febrero.

Contents

  • History 1
  • Itinerary 2
  • Landmarks Avenue 3
  • Reference 4

History

When Governor Juan Manuel de Rosas installed its fifth resting on the grounds of the present Parque Tres de Febrero built the main house (Big House of Roses) in what today would be the intersection of Sarmiento Avenue and Libertador, and a building named "La Maestranza" in the west corner. The Avenue was a main road in fifth, with ombúes on both sides. After the defeat of Rosas in Caseros the Big House was used for several years as a military college and then as Naval School, and finally demolished on February 3, 1899. The following year, on 25 May, the monument inaugurated in place to Sarmiento , designed by Auguste Rodin. Moreover, La Maestranza building was demolished in 1924 and the site was a monument to Rosas, work of Ricardo Dalla Lasta opened in 1999.

Rosas house in 1850.

For project and momentum of President Domingo Faustino Sarmiento (ruled 1868-1874) the area was improving, and in 1883, being Mayor Torcuato de Alvear, tropical palms were placed on both sides, according to the desire and impulse Sarmiento a decade ago and was called Avenida de las Palmeras. But these palms were not adapted to the climate and terrain and began to deteriorate, and to be turned into a kind of column with a tuft of withered leaves on top, popular wit the nicknamed "the brooms and dusters Sarmiento" and the "Avenue of the Brooms". Eventually they were replaced by bananas, which still stand today.

Palermo gates in 1875.

In a plane Pedro Uzal, 1879 the track was already included with the name of Domingo Faustino Sarmiento. It had a porch in his initiation (at Santa Fe Avenue) known as the Gates of Palermo. These gave an elegant air and stretched from the entrance to the Zoo to the entrance of La Rural. They had three covers for the passage of carriages and two high arches on the sidewalks for pedestrians. Its gates railings had been forged in the smithy famous Zamboni Silvestre (Rivadavia and Talcahuano). Overnight closed to the passage of carts, to which in the early years were charged tolls ($ 5) as the riders ($ 3) by a law of 1878. But a few years will not be overcharged.

Between 1877 and 1912, compared to the solar where now stands the Galileo Galilei planetarium, Café Hansen worked with entrance by the avenue, which many consider one of the cradles of tango. In 1917 the gates were demolished.

Itinerary

The avenue begins in Fishing Club.

Landmarks Avenue

Reference

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.