World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article


Article Id: WHEBN0020670967
Reproduction Date:

Title: Ballyglass  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: County Mayo, Severn-class lifeboat, Aoibhinn Ní Shúilleabháin, Tailteann Games, List of RNLI stations, Noel Lane (Galway hurler)
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia


Ballyglass (Irish: An Baile Glás, meaning "Green Village") is a small village in central County Mayo in Ireland. It is situated about 10 miles from Castlebar, and closer to Claremorris and Ballinrobe. The population of Ballyglass is estimated at 240 people.


It consists of one shops, two pubs, a primary school, a playschool, a community center, a tennis court, a soccer pitch with a flood-lit training pitch, a soccer team [1]), a post office and a Garda barracks. Ballyglass recently received street lighting and a bottle and clothes banks. There is also a part-time dispensary. This was once a weekly service but it is now restricted to a monthly one. The Old Ground, now a public house, was originally built as a warehouse. A Court House was situated where Murphy's guest house is today. [1]


The new playschool began construction when the Minister of State for Children, Barry Andrews, visited Ballyglass on 5 December, where he turned the sod for the new Childcare Facility. The new building will be built at the rear of the Mountpleasant National School, and will greatly enhance the Childcare Services in the area. Mountpleasant National School was built in 1888 and was the Community Centre, but was vacated in 1986.


The newest service available to the people of Ballyglass is the Community Minibus. The Minister for Health & Children recently awarded a grant to Ballyglass Community Council to purchase a community minibus. The bus will be used mainly by the Childcare Facility and the Over 55 Group, but will also be available for other voluntary community groups. The Garda Barracks was originally built to house a hotel to support the planned train station but ideas changed and no train station exists in Ballyglass today.


The football club is now in existence for 33 years. It was originally housed in the Turlough, but moved uphill to their modern stadium, named Michael Keaveney Park following the passing away of its co-founder, Michael Keaveney (1949-2008). His fellow founder was Tommy Joe Walsh (1907-Present). The club has won the Mayo Premier Division twice and can boast of one of the finest grounds in Connacht. [2]

See also

  • List of towns and villages in Ireland


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.