World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Battle of Turjak Castle

Article Id: WHEBN0033100231
Reproduction Date:

Title: Battle of Turjak Castle  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Slovene Partisans, Battle of Nanos, Battle of Loznica (1941), Battle of Odžak, Battle of Kočevje
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Battle of Turjak Castle

Battle of Turjak Castle
Part of World War II in Yugoslavia

Taken in 1907
Date 19 September 1943
Location Turjak Castle, Lower Carniola, Slovenia
Result Partisan victory
Belligerents

Slovene Partisans

Prešeren Brigade

 Peru#REDIRECT }}}

Anti-Communist Volunteer Militia
Commanders and leaders
Franc Jereb-Slavko Ernest Peterlin
Strength
100-200 846
Casualties and losses
unknown

151 killed

695 captured

The Battle of Turjak Castle (Slovene: bitka za Turjak) on 19 September 1943 was an encounter between the Slovene Partisans and the Anti-Communist Volunteer Militia (Slovene: Prostovoljna protikomunistična milica) (Italian: Milizia Volontaria Anti Comunista, MVAC), also known as the White guard among the Slovene Partisans, as well as other anti-communist and collaborationist forces.

The battle lasted for seven days and resulted in the complete destruction of the Anti-Communist Volunteer Militia defending the castle. Most of the survivors were later executed in the near by area by the Slovene partisans.

Location and layout

The castle sits in a triangular shape above the village with its east side facing downwards. At each of the three corners there are fighting towers, with two of them facing west[1] towards the village on the hill. Between the towers were residential spaces and troop quarters.[2]

The castle is first mentioned in history books in 1220, but historians estimate that it was built in the 10th or 11th century. An earthquake in 1511 led to its reconstruction into the form it took during the battle. The damage sustained in 1943 is still being repaired to this day.

References

  1. ^
  2. ^


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.