World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Benningen am Neckar

Article Id: WHEBN0010038509
Reproduction Date:

Title: Benningen am Neckar  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Neckar, Ludwigsburg (district), Ludwigsburg, List of dialling codes in Germany, August Pauly, Benningen, List of railway stations in Baden-Württemberg, Willi Entenmann
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Benningen am Neckar

Benningen am Neckar

Coat of arms
Benningen am Neckar
Benningen am Neckar

Coordinates: 48°56′42″N 09°14′33″E / 48.94500°N 9.24250°E / 48.94500; 9.24250Coordinates: 48°56′42″N 09°14′33″E / 48.94500°N 9.24250°E / 48.94500; 9.24250

Country Germany
State Baden-Württemberg
Admin. region Stuttgart
District Template:Link if exists
Government
 • Mayor Klaus Warthon
Area
 • Total 4.87 km2 (1.88 sq mi)
Elevation 210 m (690 ft)
Population (2012-12-31)[1]
 • Total 5,942
 • Density 1,200/km2 (3,200/sq mi)
Time zone CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)
Postal codes 71726
Dialling codes 07144
Vehicle registration LB
Website www.benningen.de

Benningen is a municipality in the district of Ludwigsburg in Baden-Württemberg in Germany.

History

By 85 AD, the Neckar-Odenwald line was the frontier of the Roman Empire. The Romans built the Limes Germanicus to secure this border. Along the border they built fortifications in regular distances, which included a small castrum on the south-eastern edge of today’s village. The mouth of the river Murr into the river Neckar played probably a role towards the choice of the site's strategic location.

Around 150 AD the border and the fort were move to the east towards Murrhardt, but a civilian settlement remained in place. By 260 AD, the Alemanni had displaced the Romans and settled in the area. The name Benningen probably derives from the name of the clan leader, who could have been called the Bunno. In 779 the town was first mentioned as Bunninga, when the monastery of Fulda obtained some property there. Other landowners were the Lorsch Abbey and the Bishopric of Speyer.

In the year 1351 and finally in 1497 the community passed to Württemberg and belonged to the Office of Marbach. From 1718 the newly established city of Ludwigsburg became the new center of the region, and so Benningen was reclassified in 1762 as part of the Ludwigsburg district.

In 1579 the school principal of the grammar school in neighboring Marbach, Simon Studion, discovered Roman ruins and led an excavation. Systematic archaeological excavations of the Roman castrum and town were made by General Edward of Kallee in the 19th Century, who had recognised its strategic importance based on military considerations. His finds are now exhibited around the new City Hall, and inside the City Hall itself there is a Roman museum. Close by were found the remains of a Jupiter Column, which were typically crowned with a statue of Jupiter, usually on horseback, trampling down a Giant, often depicted as a snake. Another small museum in Benningen, which deals amongst other things with the Roman history of the place is the "Museum im Adler", housed in a former farm and inn from 1630.

References

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.