World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Beta Epsilon Gamma Gamma Alpha Rho Sigma

Article Id: WHEBN0033080074
Reproduction Date:

Title: Beta Epsilon Gamma Gamma Alpha Rho Sigma  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Loyola University New Orleans, Alpha Sigma Kappa, Alpha Beta Gamma, Phi Beta Chi, Delta Tau Delta
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Beta Epsilon Gamma Gamma Alpha Rho Sigma

Beta Epsilon Gamma Gamma Alpha Rho Sigma (ΒΕΓΓΑΡΣ), established December 20, 1923, is the oldest Jesuit fraternity in the United States.[1] The Beggars Fraternity of Loyola University New Orleans is the first social fraternity at a Jesuit University.

History

Gardere Moore, on December 22, 1923, during the Christmas holidays, invited a number of Loyola students to his home to begin a fraternal organization. The new organization took the name "Beggars" in order not to be classified as a Greek letter fraternity. After the ban on fraternities was lifted, this name was transliterated into Greek. Future priest Francis L. Jannsen, was Director of Student Activities at Loyola, an office now known as Dean of Men.

Contributions

The Men of Beggars have been an part of the campus since their founding as the first fraternity in 1923. Both the school’s newspaper and the Student Government Association were started by the Beggars.

The flag pole in front of Biever Hall, the stained glass window in Marquette Hall and the tile mosaic on the library were all donated to the school by the fraternity and their alumni.

The Men of the Beggars host Loyola's oldest party: Beggars Blast and Loyola's biggest party: Dark Carnival.

Membership

The Beggars Fraternity holds its membership to be an exclusive invitation requiring unanimous approval by the entire fraternity and therefore does not operate on quotas.[2]

See also

References

  1. ^ Student Organizations
  2. ^ Membership
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.