World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Big Springs, Kansas

Article Id: WHEBN0012697600
Reproduction Date:

Title: Big Springs, Kansas  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Douglas County, Kansas, Big Springs, Martin F. Conway, Shawnee Heights USD 450
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Big Springs, Kansas

Big Springs, Kansas
Unincorporated community
Big Springs along Highway 40
Big Springs along Highway 40
Big Springs, Kansas
Big Springs, Kansas

Coordinates: 39°00′47″N 95°29′06″W / 39.01306°N 95.48500°W / 39.01306; -95.48500Coordinates: 39°00′47″N 95°29′06″W / 39.01306°N 95.48500°W / 39.01306; -95.48500

Country United States
State Kansas
County Douglas
Elevation 1,102 ft (336 m)
Time zone Central (CST) (UTC-6)
 • Summer (DST) CDT (UTC-5)
Area code(s) 785
GNIS feature ID 484942[1]

Big Springs is an unincorporated community in western Douglas County, Kansas, United States. Today it has a water tower, tool shop, church and a fire station that is part of the Lecompton Township Fire Dist. 1. Its mailing address is Lecompton. It is part of USD 450 Shawnee Heights School District in Tecumseh. US Highway 40 runs through the town. In 2010, a building on the east side of town caught fire, leaving a restricted area of charred rubble.

History

Big Springs was founded in the fall of 1854 and is the oldest settlement in Douglas County. The town was founded by William Harper and John Chamberlain but had always been a popular watering hole along the Oregon Trail. On September 5, 1855, Big Springs was home to a free-state convention in which determined men vowed to give their lives to defend their homes from border ruffians from Missouri. The first sermon was preached in 1855 by Reverend W.A. Cardwell in the log home of Ephraim Banning. The first church was built a year later. Also in 1856, the first post office was established, as well as the first schooling took place then in the town hall. The post office was lost in 1903. The population did not grow, but hovered around 40 people, as there was no railroad running through the town.


References

Further reading

  • Fitzgerald, Daniel. Ghost Towns of Kansas: A Traveler's Guide. 1988.

www.legendsofkansas.com/bigsprings.html

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.