World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Brest voblast

Article Id: WHEBN0001683130
Reproduction Date:

Title: Brest voblast  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Stolin, Kobryn, Napoleon Orda, Franciszek Ksawery Drucki-Lubecki, Zdzitava
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Brest voblast

Brest Region
Template:Native name
Template:Native name

Coat of arms
Administrative center Brest
Largest cities Brest - 298,300
Baranovichi - 168,600
Pinsk - 130,500
Raions 16
Cities: 20
Urban localities: 9
Villages: 2,178
Government
 • Chairman Kostantin Andreyevich Sumar
Area
 • Total 32,800 km2 (12,700 sq mi)
Population
 • Total 1,394,800
 • Density 43/km2 (110/sq mi)
Website www.brest-region.by

Brest Voblast (Province) or Brest Oblast (Belarusian: Брэ́сцкая во́бласць; Bresckaja vobłaść; Russian: Бре́стская о́бласть; Brestskaya Oblast) is a province (voblast) of Belarus with its administrative center being Brest.

Important cities within the voblast' include: Baranovichi, Brest, and Pinsk.

Geography

It is located in the southwestern part of Belarus, bordering the Podlasie and Lublin Voivodships of Poland on the west, the Volyn and Rivne Oblasts of Ukraine on the south, the Hrodna and Minsk Voblasts on the north, and the Homyel Voblast on the east. The voblast' covers at total area of 32,800 km²,[1] about 15,7% of the national total.

Kametnets Raion of Brest Region in few kilometers to the South-West from Vysokaye town on the Bug River the western extreme point of Belarus is situated.[2]

It is often dubbed the Western gateway to Belarus. Geographically, the Brest Voblast belongs to the area known as Polesia. The area of the Voblast was part of the Second Polish Republic from 1921 until 1939 largely as the Polesie Voivodeship, when it was joined to the Byelorussian Soviet Socialist Republic. Northeastern part of it was ruled as part of Nowogrodek Voivodeship.

Demographics

The Brest Voblast has a population of 1,394,800,[1] about 14,7% of the national total. About 47.2% of the voblast's population are men, and the remaining 52.8% are women. Number of inhabitants per 1 km2 is 43.[1]

Of the major nationalities living in the Brest Voblast, 1,262,600 are Belarusians (85%), 128,700 (8.6%) are Russians, 57,100 (3.8%) are Ukrainians, and 27,100 (1.8%) are Poles. 53.7% of the population speak Belarusian and 42.6% speak Russian as their native language.[3]

Brest is the province with the highest birth rate in all of Belarus. As of 2008, the birth rate was 12.0 per 1000 and death rate was 13.4 per 1000.[4]

Administrative Subdivisions

The region was formed in 1939 after reunification of Western Belarus and the Byelorussian SSR. Today it comprises 16 districts (raions), 225 selsovets, 20 cities, 5 city municipalities, 9 urban-type settlements, and 2178 villages.

Tourism

There are about 70 travel agencies in Brest Region, most of them provide both agent and operator activities.[5][6] Main tourist attractions in the region are Belovezhskaya Puscha and Brest Fortress.

Raions of Brest Voblast

The sixteen raions (districts) of the Brest Voblast are:

Cities and towns

See also

References

External links

  • (Russian)/(English) Brest Regional Executive Committee

Template:Brest Voblast

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.