World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Bundeshaus (Bonn)

Article Id: WHEBN0030356607
Reproduction Date:

Title: Bundeshaus (Bonn)  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Bundestag
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Bundeshaus (Bonn)

The Bundeshaus in 1961
Plenary chamber of the German Bundestag in Bonn, 1993, architect Günter Behnisch

The Bundeshaus (Federal House) is a building complex in Bonn, Germany, which served as the provisional parliament house of the Federal Republic of Germany, and thus the seat of the German Bundestag and Bundesrat, from 1949 until 1999. The main building, constructed between 1930 and 1933, served as a Pedagogical Academy until the end of the Second World War. After the resolution of the Hauptstadtfrage (Capital Question) in 1949 in favor of Bonn, the structure was converted into the provisional seat of the Bundestag and Bundesrat.

For over forty years it served as the seat of both constitutional bodies. The Bundeshaus was expanded and renovated numerous times until these institutions were transferred to Berlin after the Hauptstadtbeschluss (Capital Resolution) in 1999, nine years after the German reunification. The parliamentary chamber then became the "Internationale Kongresszentrum Bundeshaus Bonn", now known as the "World Conference Center Bonn", in which national and international conferences take place. The southern part of the building is to become the headquarters of the Climate Secretariat of the United Nations as part of the "UN-Campus", including the former Abgeordnetenhochhaus and the office block known as "Langer Eugen" (Tall Eugene, nickname of Eugen Gerstenmaier, former President of the Bundestag).

The Haus der Geschichte provides the opportunity to book guidances and to visit the historical place of the former Bundesrat.

External links

  • History of the Bundeshaus from the World Conference Center Bonn

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.