World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

CFS Ramore

Article Id: WHEBN0030829842
Reproduction Date:

Title: CFS Ramore  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Foreign military bases in Canada (closed), Canadian Forces Bases, CFS Dana, National Defence Headquarters (Canada), Camp Ipperwash
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

CFS Ramore

CFS Station Ramore
Coordinates
Type Radar Station
Code C-10
Site information
Controlled by  United States Air Force
 Royal Canadian Air Force
Site history
Built 1953
In use 1953-1962,1962-1974
Built by  United States Air Force
CFS Ramore is located in Ontario
CFS Ramore
CFS Ramore
Location of Canadian Forces Station Ramore, Ontario
Station badge

Canadian Forces Station Ramore (ADC ID: C-10) is a closed General Surveillance Radar station. It is located 4 miles (6.4 km) east of Ramore, Ontario. It was closed in 1974.

It was operated as part of the Pinetree Line network controlled by NORAD.

History

As a result of the Cold War and with the expansion of a North American continental air defence system, Ramore was selected as a site for a United States Air Force (USAF) radar station, one of the many that would make up the Pinetree Line of Ground-Control Intercept (GCI) radar sites. Construction on the Ramore base began in 1950 and was completed by 1953. The base was manned by members of the USAF's Air Defense Command (ADC) 912th Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron, being known as Ramore Air Station.

Ramore contained an AN/FPS-3 search radar, AB/TPS-502 Height finder radar and an AN/FPS-502 Back-Up Search radar. The back-up radar could function as either search or height radar. The operating radius was approximately 180 miles which stretched as far west as Hearst and as far north as Moosonee.

Pinetree stations were also subject to ground attacks. Each station was equipped with a Base Defence Force or BDF whose skills were sometimes tested against army units during practice drills.

Station personnel were often located in rural locations and had to preoccupy themselves during their off time. Many joined sports teams, motorcycling clubs, stamp clubs or amateur radio associations. Civilians were welcomed at the base either as club participants or to the recreational facilities such as the swimming pool. Some of the buildings located on the property included the combined mess hall, officers quarters, NCO’s quarters, OR’s quarters, Supply, Administration & Recreation Building, chlorinator house, guard shack, heated garages and power plant.

The AC&W squadron remained in control of operations at Remore until early 1962 when operation of the radar base was transferred from the Americans to the Canadian military under operation of the Number 35 Aircraft Control & Warning Squadron. The RCAF renamed the site RCAF Station Ramore. This was part of an arrangement with the United States that came as a result of the cancellation of the Avro Arrow. Canada would lease 66 F-101 Voodoo fighters and take over operation of 12 Pinetree radar bases including Ramore. New equipment was also acquired around that time, with AN/FPS-27, AN/FPS-6B, and AN/FPS-26 radars and then in computers as part of the squadron's automation.

Ground to air communications, originally provided from seperare TX and RX buildings and antenna farms on the station, was moved off site to the RCAF Station Ramore GATR site on April 1, 1963.[1]

On August 10, 1967, the 35 Radar Squadron became known as Canadian Forces Station (CFS) Ramore when it combined with the Canadian Armed Forces. It continued to serve as an advanced warning system until its closure on April 1, 1974, along with two other stations in Ontario when they were deemed no longer necessary. By the 1980s some of the vacuum-tube equipment at the bases had become so obsolete that replacement tubes could only be obtained from factories in the Soviet Union. Two of the radar antennas were donated to the Military Communications and Electronics Museum in Kingston upon Ramore’s closure.

CFS Lowther near Hearst and CFS Senneterre in Quebec handled the coverage area that Ramore had previously monitored.

In 1975, the station was sold to the Black River-Matheson township for $100,000 and was reopened as the Lava Mountain Lodge, a resort and drinking establishment.

See also

References

 This article incorporates public domain material from websites or documents of the Air Force Historical Research Agency.

  1. ^ Library and Archives Canada, "Historical Summary RCAF Station Ramore 1 Jan 63 to 31 Dec 63" RCAF W/C RD Forbes-Roberts, CO, RCAF Station Ramore Ontario
  • A Handbook of Aerospace Defense Organization 1946 - 1980, by Lloyd H. Cornett and Mildred W. Johnson, Office of History, Aerospace Defense Center, Peterson Air Force Base, Colorado
  • Winkler, David F. (1997), Searching the skies: the legacy of the United States Cold War defense radar program. Prepared for United States Air Force Headquarters Air Combat Command.
  • Information for Ramore AS, ON

External links

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.