Caproni biplane

This page is about the pioneering biplane of 1910. For the World War I bomber, see Caproni Ca.1 (1914).

Ca.1
Role Experimental aircraft
Manufacturer Gianni Caproni
Designer Gianni Caproni
First flight 27 May 1910
Number built 1

The Caproni Ca.1 was an experimental biplane built in Italy in 1910. It was the first aircraft to be designed and built by Gianni Caproni, although he had previously collaborated with Henri Coanda on sailplane designs. The Ca.1 was an unorthodox design, with an uncovered rectangular truss as a fuselage. Its two-bay wing cellule featured unstaggered mainplanes of equal span. Although the engine was mounted in the nose, it drove propellers mounted in front of the wings on long struts. The landing gear consisted of a dual mainwheel and skid arrangement, with outrigger wheels at each wingtip and a tailwheel.

The Ca.1 flew for the first time on 27 May 1910, but was destroyed in the attempt.

Specifications

General characteristics

  • Crew: 1, pilot
  • Capacity: 1 passenger
  • Length: 9.86 m (32 ft 4 in)
  • Wingspan: 10.50 m (34 ft 5 in)
  • Height: 3.36 m (11 ft 0 in)
  • Wing area: 38 m2 (409 ft2)
  • Empty weight: 550 kg (1,210 lb)
  • Gross weight: 650 kg (1,430 lb)
  • Powerplant: 1 × Miller 22hp radial, 30 kW (22 hp)

Performance

  • Maximum speed: 80 km/h (50 mph)

See also

References

External links

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.