World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Caprotti valve gear

Article Id: WHEBN0002005612
Reproduction Date:

Title: Caprotti valve gear  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Double beat valve, Kuhn slide, Bulleid chain-driven valve gear, Gab valve gear, Arturo Caprotti
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Caprotti valve gear

The Caprotti valve gear is a type of steam engine valve gear invented in the early 1920s by Italian architect and engineer Arturo Caprotti. It uses camshafts and poppet valves rather than the piston valves used in other valve gear. While basing his design on automotive valves, Caprotti made several significant departures from this design to adapt the valves for steam.

Having agreed a joint-venture with Worcester-based engineering company Heenan & Froude from 1938, Heenan & Froude fully acquired Caprotti post-World War II in 1947.

In the 1950s, Caprotti valve gear was improved and this British Caprotti valve gear was fitted to the last two British Railways-built 'Black Fives' 44686/7, the last 30 BR standard class 5s, numbers 73125-54 and the unique BR standard class 8 71000 Duke of Gloucester. Results were mixed, with the performance of the Duke of Gloucester particularly disappointing but this was later found to be due to errors elsewhere in the design and construction.

Although more expensive to manufacture than its rivals, this improved Caprotti valve gear is considerably more efficient than any other. Benefits include much of the mechanism being enclosed thus leading to reduced wear and tear from the harsh steam locomotive environment and completely independent control of admission and exhaust. The restored Duke of Gloucester, with its flaws eliminated, has proved the concept.

External links

  • British Caprotti Valve Gear on the Duke of Gloucester
  • BR Standard Class 5, No 73129 with Caprotti gear, Midland Railway - Butterley.


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.