World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Cardiff Railway

Article Id: WHEBN0001145218
Reproduction Date:

Title: Cardiff Railway  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Great Western Railway ships, Welsh 0-6-2T locomotives, Coryton Line, West Midland Railway, Taff Vale Railway O1 class
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia

Cardiff Railway

Wrth Ddŵr a Thân: By Fire and Water, the company's motto

The Cardiff Railway came into being from the need to service Bute Docks, so as to provide facilities for the traffic to and from the Docks. The railway was only 11 miles in length, a fact which belied its importance, since it provided both the Taff Vale Railway and the Rhymney Railway, inter alia, with access.

On 6 August 1897 the Bute Docks Company became the Cardiff Railway Company, and the line between Heath Junction and Treforest was opened. This opening was filled with difficulties, because Treforest Junction was on the Taff Vale Railway, at the same point as the TVR's junction with the Barry Railway. Here the Barry syphoned off large amounts of coal traffic for transport to Barry Docks. The TVR had no intention of allowing more to be syphoned off by another company, and so it defied the Act of Parliament which had authorised the junction and appealed against its opening on the grounds that it was unsafe.

A delay of some years was followed by an agreement over the design of the junction and the successful running of a ceremonial opening train, which was promptly followed by the TVR, with the support of the Barry, removing the junction; again on the grounds that it was unsafe. It was obvious to all concerned that the TVR was deliberately attempting to crush this rival before it became too big, but little could be done about their petty objections - particularly as the junction was on their railway. Regular coal trains never used the junction, as the Cardiff Railway gave up the battle at this point and suggested a merger between it, the TVR, and the Rhymney Railway. Although both companies involved agreed with this, the Barry and Pontypridd, Caerphilly and Newport Railway objected on the grounds of unfair competition, particularly as the TVR was one of the world's most profitable railways (although the Barry was a close second).

Ultimately the Cardiff was forced to acknowledge that it would never be a successful company in its own right, but remained independent until the Railways Act 1921, when it became a constituent part of the Great Western Railway on 1 January 1922.

Ex-Cardiff Railway 0-6-0T No. 684 inside Cardiff East Dock Shed 1950
0-6-2T, No. 155 at Cardiff East Dock Depot 1950


The Cardiff Railway had 36 steam locomotives, all built by private manufacturers, which were acquired by the GWR on 1 January 1922. For details see Locomotives of the Great Western Railway#Cardiff Railway

Only one locomotive still exists this day into preservation. Built in 1897, ex-Cardiff Railway 0-4-0ST GWR No.1338 is restored to working order, and currently residing at the Didcot Railway Centre.

See also

  • The Cardiff Railway by Eric Mountford. Published by Oakwood Press.
  • Pierhead Building

External links

  • Cardiff Railway, including map
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.