World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Cardonald

Article Id: WHEBN0000054925
Reproduction Date:

Title: Cardonald  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Mosspark railway station, Glasgow, Walter Stewart, 1st Lord Blantyre, Brian McBride (director), Philip Tartaglia
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Cardonald

Cardonald
Scottish Gaelic: Cair Dhòmhnaill
Scots: Cardonal

Highrise flats in Cardonald
Cardonald is located in Glasgow council area
Cardonald
Cardonald
 Cardonald shown within Glasgow
OS grid reference
Council area Glasgow City Council
Lieutenancy area Glasgow
Country Scotland
Sovereign state United Kingdom
Post town GLASGOW
Postcode district G52
Dialling code 0141
Police Scottish
Fire Scottish
Ambulance Scottish
EU Parliament Scotland
UK Parliament Glasgow South West
Scottish Parliament Glasgow Pollok
List of places
UK
Scotland
Glasgow

Cardonald (Scots: Cardonal,[1] Scottish Gaelic: Cair Dhòmhnaill)[2] is an outlying suburb of the Scottish city of Glasgow. Formerly a village in its own right, it lies to the southwest of the city and is bounded to the south by the White Cart Water. The area was part of Renfrewshire until 1926 when the villages of Cardonald, Crookston, Halfway and their surrounding farmland were annexed to Glasgow.

In the 15th century the lands of Cardonald were the property of Johannes Norwald or Normanville, Dominus of Cardownalde. His granddaughter and heiress, Marion Stewart (daughter of Isabella Norwald of Cardonald and Sir William Stewart of Castlemilk), married Allan Stewart, establishing the line of Stewarts of Cardonald. The Cardonald Stewarts were a junior branch of the House of Stewart. Allan Stewart of Cardonald, the first Stewart of Cardonald, was the younger son of John Stewart, 1st Earl of Lennox. The Cardonald Stewarts had their seat at the Place of Cardonald (also known as Cardonald Castle or Cardonald House), built in 1565. It was demolished and replaced by a farmhouse - Cardonald Place Farm - in 1848.

The line of the Stewarts of Cardonald ended with Allan's great-grandson, James Stewart of Cardonald (1512–1584). He had served as a captain in the Scottish Guards of the Kings of France, and is buried in Paisley Abbey. As he had no issue, the lands of Cardonald passed to his sister's son, Walter Stewart, 1st Lord Blantyre. His family resided at the Place of Cardonald for generations, and retained lands in Cardonald until the 20th century.

In 1926, Glasgow Corporation bought the Cardonald estates, They gave opportunity to private development replicating Kelvindale cottage flats By Western Heritable and Council housing in the area. Cardonald was divided into North and South Cardonald, with the south mostly composed of owner-occupied and privately rented cottage flats, whilst the north was made up of owner-occupied and rented accommodation owned by Glasgow Corporation, divided by the new Paisley Road West, including terraced houses, flats, and semi-detached property. In the 1950s, the Corporation erected the UK's first high-rise flats in the area. Although only 10 storeys high, and overlooking Crookston Castle, the Moss Heights flats were the first of many high-rise blocks to be built in Glasgow.

Cardonald College, one of Scotland's largest further education colleges, opened in 1972, and rapidly expanded in recent times.

Cardonald has three churches: Cardonald Parish Church (Church of Scotland) (built 1889), Hillington Park (Church of Scotland) (built 1908) and Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic Church (built 1938). The district is served by Cardonald railway station on the Inverclyde Line and by numerous bus routes. There is also easy access to the M8 motorway via Junction 25.

References

  1. ^ The Online Scots Dictionary
  2. ^ List of railway station names in English, Scots and Gaelic – NewsNetScotland
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.