World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Carrickmacross Emmet's GAC

Article Id: WHEBN0012615982
Reproduction Date:

Title: Carrickmacross Emmet's GAC  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Carrickmacross, Monaghan GAA
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Carrickmacross Emmet's GAC

Carrickmacross Emmets GFC
Carraig Mhachaire Rois
Founded: 1903
County: Monaghan
Nickname: Carrick,Emmets
Club colours: Green and Yellow
Grounds: Emmet Centre, Ballybay Road
Coordinates:

53°59′07.16″N 6°43′16.89″W / 53.9853222°N 6.7213583°W / 53.9853222; -6.7213583Coordinates: 53°59′07.16″N 6°43′16.89″W / 53.9853222°N 6.7213583°W / 53.9853222; -6.7213583

Playing kits

Standard colours
Senior Club Championships

All Ireland Ulster
champions
Monaghan
champions
Football : - - 7
Hurling : - - 7

Carrickmacross Emmets is a Gaelic football and hurling club from Carrickmacross in County Monaghan in Ireland. The club was founded in 1903. The club participates in Monaghan competitions. The club has won the Monaghan Senior Football Championship seven times and have come runner-up six times. The Club colours are Green and Yellow.

HISTORY OF CARRICK EMMETS

The GAA was founded in County Monaghan at a meeting in O'Neill's Hotel, Carrickmacross on the evening of December 27, 1887 when the following officers were elected - President, Rev W. McKenna; Vice President, Rev J. McCarney, who was later Monaghan's first delegate to Central Council; Secretary, Owen Cahill, Carrickmacross; Treasurer, Patrick Lee. The two most notable teams in Carrickmacross in those early years were the Carrickmacross O’Briens and the Carrickmacross Sexton’s. Both of those clubs were represented at the meeting.

The first Monaghan Senior Football Championship - 1888 Inniskeen Grattans defeated Carrickmacross

On 26 September 1903 a meeting of all those interested in gaelic football was held in the Forresters Hall in Carrickmacross. At that meeting Carrick Emmets was established. 1903 was the centenary of the death of Robert Emmet and was unanimously agreed to name the club in his honour. The following officers were elected at that meeting;-

Captain: Owen Sherry Vice Captain: P Jones Treasurer: Joseph Connolly Secretary: T Markey.

The first club grounds played on were Athletic Grounds, then Gaelic Grounds. In 1953 the club moved to its present grounds at Emmet Park, Ballybay Road.

1905 - The club adopted a green jersey with a white sash and white shorts. In the following years the jerseys included a yellow stripe also.

1908- The club won its first senior championship against Inniskeen at Athletic Grounds Carrickmacross. Man of the match was Jemmy Downey.

1930 - Sunday 27 July Ulster Final Monaghan V Cavan was played at Gaelic Park, Carrickmacross.

1988 - Social centre at Emmet Park opened which included new changing rooms, squash court and handball alley.

2008- Carrick Emmets won the Owen Ward cup Senior Football league for the first time.

2008 - The club purchased land for a new development at Donaghmoyne Road, Carrickmacross.

2013 - The club is favorite to win the Monaghan Minor Championship under Seams Mullholland and James Conlon.

They currently play at the Emmett Centre but the construction of a new pitch is under way. The Carrickmacross Emmets GAA club pitch, which is there since 1953, is situated on the Ballybay Road. There are two pitches, the main pitch and a training pitch. There are modern changing rooms on-site. There is also a community centre, and a handball & Squash alley on this site.They are planning a new pitch on the Donaghmoyne Road. The Monaghan Inter-county players Stephen Gollogly, Peter O'Hanlon and Mark Downey plays for Carrickmacross Emmetts.

Honours

External links

  • Official Carrickmacross Emmets GAA Club website
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.