World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Cathcart

Article Id: WHEBN0000499034
Reproduction Date:

Title: Cathcart  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Cathcart railway station, Muirend, Crossmyloof, Langside, Renfrewshire (historic)
Collection: Districts of Glasgow, Parishes of Scotland
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Cathcart

Cathcart
Scottish Gaelic: Coille Chart
Scots: Kithcart
Cathcart is located in Glasgow council area
Cathcart
 Cathcart shown within Glasgow
OS grid reference
Council area Glasgow City Council
Lieutenancy area Glasgow
Country Scotland
Sovereign state United Kingdom
Post town GLASGOW
Postcode district G44
Dialling code 0141
Police Scottish
Fire Scottish
Ambulance Scottish
EU Parliament Scotland
UK Parliament Glasgow South
Scottish Parliament Glasgow Cathcart
List of places
UK
Scotland
Glasgow
Clarkston Road, Cathcart, Glasgow

Cathcart (Scots: Kithcart, Scottish Gaelic: Coille Chart)[1] is an area of Glasgow between Mount Florida, King's Park, Muirend and Newlands. The White Cart Water flows through Cathcart, downstream from Linn Park. In 2014, it was rated one of the most attractive postcode areas to live in Scotland.[2]

Originally part of the Burgh of Govan in Renfrewshire, most of the ancient parish was annexed by the City of Glasgow in 1912, but it retains a distinct local identity. Cathcart is mainly a residential area, containing a mix of tenements, terraces and villas built from red or blonde sandstone. There are some historic buildings, including the Couper Institute (a public hall and library) and the Snuff Mill. One of Alexander Thomson's most significant buildings, Holmwood House, is situated in Cathcart, close to the Glasgow city boundary.

Local industry includes ClydeUnion Pumps, and Scottish Power.

Cathcart is served by Cathcart railway station on the Cathcart Circle Line, as well as numerous bus routes.

Churches

Cathcart contains several churches including Cathcart Baptist church, Cathcart United Free church, Cathcart Congregational church and two Church of Scotland churches; Cathcart Old and Cathcart Trinity. The present Cathcart Old building was opened in 1929 and sits across Carmunnock Road from the earlier churchyard which contains the tower from the previous church and a graveyard. Cathcart Trinity was formed in November 2002 from the union of the vacant charges of Cathcart South and New Cathcart. Cathcart's large population of Catholics is served by Saint Gabriel's Church in Merrylee and Christ the King in King's Park.

References

  1. ^ List of railway station names in English, Scots and Gaelic – NewsNetScotland
  2. ^ "UK's 'most desirable' postcodes revealed". BBC News. 

External links

  • Cathcart, Glasgow - Architecture & History
  • Cathcart Trinity Church
  • Southside Festival
  • Southside Happenings


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.