World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Chicago, Milwaukee and Puget Sound Railway

Article Id: WHEBN0034407478
Reproduction Date:

Title: Chicago, Milwaukee and Puget Sound Railway  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Rapid City, Black Hills and Western Railroad, Coal and Coke Railway, Toledo and Ohio Central Railway, Missouri–Illinois Railroad, Cincinnati, Indianapolis and Western Railroad
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Chicago, Milwaukee and Puget Sound Railway

Chicago, Milwaukee and Puget Sound Railroad
Former Milwaukee Road system. Solid red lines are trackage still operated by CP Rail; purple lines are trackage now operated by other railroads; red dotted lines are abandoned. This map suggests a rail crossing between Iowa and Wisconsin; this crossing closed in 1961.
Reporting mark MILW
Locale Idaho, Montana, Washington
Dates of operation Circa 1906–1912
Successor Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul and Pacific Railroad
Track gauge 4 ft 8 12 in (1,435 mm) standard gauge
Headquarters Chicago, Illinois

The Milwaukee Road, officially the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul and Pacific Railroad (reporting mark MILW), was a Class I railroad that operated in the Midwest and Northwest of the United States from 1847 until 1980, when its Pacific Coast Extension was embargoed in the states of Montana, Idaho, and Washington. Its core Midwest system was merged into the Soo Line Railroad on January 1, 1986. The Pacific Coast Extension from the Midwest to the Pacific Northwest, planned between 1901 and 1906 and built between 1906 and 1909, was carried out under the auspices of the Chicago, Milwaukee and Puget Sound Railroad. This corporate entity was folded into its parent company in 1912.

Gallery

References

Further reading

  • Isabelle Carpenter Kendall (1911), Across the continent, Chicago: Chicago, Milwaukee & Puget Sound Railway 
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.