World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article


Article Id: WHEBN0006704745
Reproduction Date:

Title: Chiuduno  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Valerio Tebaldi, Telgate, Carobbio degli Angeli, Grumello del Monte, Matthias Stom
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia


Comune di Chiuduno
Coat of arms of Chiuduno
Coat of arms
Chiuduno is located in Italy
Location of Chiuduno in Italy
Country Italy
Region Lombardy
Province Bregamo (BG)
Frazioni Cicola, Valle del Fico
 • Mayor Mauro Cinquini
 • Total 6.6 km2 (2.5 sq mi)
Elevation 218 m (715 ft)
Population (Dec. 2004)[1]
 • Total 5,348
 • Density 810/km2 (2,100/sq mi)
Demonym(s) Chiudunesi
Time zone CET (UTC+1)
 • Summer (DST) CEST (UTC+2)
Postal code 24060
Dialing code 035
Patron saint St. Lucius
Saint day October 30

Chiuduno is a comune (municipality) in the Province of Bergamo in the Italian region of Lombardy, located about 60 kilometres (37 mi) northeast of Milan and about 15 kilometres (9 mi) southeast of Bergamo, midway between the Bergamo plain and the Valcalepio.

Chiuduno borders the following municipalities: Bolgare, Carobbio degli Angeli, Grumello del Monte, Telgate.


  • History 1
  • Main sights 2
  • Demographic evolution 3
  • References 4


The settlement has Gaulish origins, and was later a Roman centre as Claudunum on the road between Bergamo and Brescia. It is however mentioned for the first time in a document from 795, and in the Middle Ages it developed and received a fortress.

Main sights

  • Castle (9th century), of which only a tower and other parts remain.
  • Another fortification on the border with the territory of Carobbio degli Angeli (17th century).

The son of a carpenter, Wicar studied drawing at the free school in Lille before further honing his talents in the studio of David. The drawings Wicar created of Tableaux, statues, bas-reliefs et camées de la Galerie de Florence et du palais Pitti (Paintings, statues, bas-reliefs and cameos in the Gallery of Florence and the Pitti Palace) were published in Paris in 4 volumes at the Lacombe publishing house from 1789 to 1807. Wicar headed the commission set up by Napoleon I of France to loot artworks from the Austrian Netherlands to enrich museums in France - an initial convoy left Antwerp on 11 August 1794, notably with paintings by Rubens, for the Louvre. Abbeys and castles were systematically emptied of their contents, furniture and works of art. Wicar was also a member of the commission des sciences et des arts on the Italian campaign, in the entourage of Bonaparte. This commission was charged with seizing artworks that could enrich French national museum collections. He finally permanently settled in Rome in 1800 and became a portraitist of European renown. On his death in Rome, Wicar left the major collection of 1,300 drawings he had accumulated over his lifetime to the Société des Sciences, de l’Agriculture et des Arts de Lille. Mostly from the Italian school, but also in some small measure from the northern schools, it held drawings by artists like Raphael, Albrecht Dürer, Lucas Cranach, Nicolas Poussin and Jacques-Louis David. This legacy initially formed the public "musée Wicar", which in 1866 merged into the Palais des beaux-arts de Lille.

Demographic evolution


  1. ^ All demographics and other statistics: Italian statistical institute Istat.

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.