World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Clerkenwell Bridewell

Article Id: WHEBN0009227494
Reproduction Date:

Title: Clerkenwell Bridewell  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Bridewell Palace, 18th century in London, New Prison, Spence Broughton, St Giles's Roundhouse
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Clerkenwell Bridewell

Clerkenwell Bridewell
Location Clerkenwell
Status Closed
Opened 1615 (1615)
Closed 1794 (1794)

Clerkenwell Bridewell was a prison located in the Clerkenwell area, immediately north of the City of London (in the modern London Borough of Islington), between c.1615 and 1794, when it was superseded by the nearby Coldbath Fields Prison in Mount Pleasant. It was named 'Bridewell' after the Bridewell Palace, which during the 16th century had become one of the City of London's most important prisons.

Next-door was another prison, the New Prison, built in around 1617. The Clerkenwell House of Detention, also known simply as Clerkenwell Prison, was built on the site of the two former prisons. Today, the site is occupied by the former Hugh Myddleton School (1893-c.1960), in Bowling Green Lane, which has now been converted into flats. The Victorian vaults of the House of Detention can still be accessed from Clerkenwell Close.

Notable inmates

  • John Robins (prophet) (fl. 1650–1652), released after signing a recantation against his former blasphemy.

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.