World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

DRG Class ET 171

Article Id: WHEBN0022320959
Reproduction Date:

Title: DRG Class ET 171  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Hamburg S-Bahn
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

DRG Class ET 171

Deutsche Reichsbahn Gesellschaft Baureihe ET 171
Aumühle station
Specifications
Power type Electric
Builder LHB, MAN, Wegmann, BBC
Build date 1939-1943
1954-1955
1958
Total produced 72
UIC classification Bo'Bo'+2'2'+Bo'Bo
Gauge
Length 61 m (200 ft 2 in)
Locomotive weight 130 t (130 long tons; 140 short tons)
Electric system(s) 1,2 kV DC
Top speed 80 km/h (50 mph)
Power output 1,160 kW (1,560 hp)
Tractive effort 170 kN (38,000 lbf)
Train brakes Air, electric
Safety systems Sifa, PZB
Career
Railroad(s) Deutsche Reichsbahn Gesellschaft
Deutsche Bundesbahn
Deutsche Bahn AG
Hamburg S-Bahn
Class 471/871
Retired 1989-2001

The DRG Class ET 171 (since 1968 DB Class 471/871) is a three-car electric multiple unit train built for the Hamburg S-Bahn.

History

The first electric Hamburg S-Bahn trains appeared on the Hamburg-Altona City and Suburban Railway in 1907. In 1937, the main-line railway operator, Deutsche Reichsbahn, decided to switch the current collection method from overhead catenary (AC 6,3 kV/25 Hz) to third rail (DC 1,2 kV). The new Class ET 171 trains were built to replace the old overhead line trains. The first unit appeared in Hamburg in December 1939.[1]

Description

1939-1974

The first 47 trainsets were built from 1939 to 1943. There were to have been 100 units in total, but the World War II interrupted production and it was not resumed until 1954. A further 21 units were built from 1954 to 1955 in order to enable the overhead line traffic to be withdrawn. Additional 5 units (171 082-086) were built in 1958 to service the new line between Hamburg Central Station and Bergedorf.

1975-today

In the 70s and 80s, some trains received a new livery, alike the one of the new Class 472 trains. Retirement began in the late 80s for single trains, in late 90s most trains were taken out of service and replaced by the Class 474. The last 471s were retired from regular service in October 2001. Unit 471 082 from 1958 is still operational and is used as a heritage train. Also 471 039 and 471 062 are still existing but can not be moved by own power.

Equipment

All units had a dynamic brake to reduce the wear of the brake pads. All doors can be automatically closed from the driver's cab by the train driver but can be opened again after a short time. This was possible until the 1970s due to safety reasons. All trains had a 2nd class in the end cars and a 1st class in the centre car. The first class was removed from all Hamburg S-Bahn trains in November 2000. The lighting was done by light bulbs. All trains are equipped with Sifa all the time. In 1965, the trains were also equipped with PZB to make the train traffic more safely.

Gallery

References

External links

  • http://www.hish.de - German - Historische S-Bahn Hamburg e.V. - Historical Hamburg S-Bahn
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.