World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Devonshire Parish

Article Id: WHEBN0003182298
Reproduction Date:

Title: Devonshire Parish  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Bermuda, Southampton Parish, Bermuda, Pembroke Parish, Smith's Parish, Central American and Caribbean Cross Country Championships
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Devonshire Parish

An illustration of Devonshire Redoubt, Bermuda, 1614

Devonshire Parish is one of the nine parishes of Bermuda. Originally named "Cavendish Tribe" and later "Devonshire Tribe. It is named for William Cavendish, 1st Earl of Devonshire (1552–1626). He had never visited Bermuda himself, despite a parish being named after him.

Location

It is located in the centre of the territory, close to the junction between the main part of the main island and the peninsula containing the capital, Hamilton, and Pembroke Parish (to which it is joined in the west). To the northeast, it is joined to Smith's Parish, and to the southwest it borders Paget Parish. As with most of Bermuda's parishes, it covers just over 2.3 square miles (6.0 km2). North Shore Road, Middle Road, and South Shore Road all go through this parish.

Natural features

Natural features in Devonshire include Devonshire Bay, and Devonshire Marsh. Devonshire Bay is located on the South shore of Bermuda. There is a national park here and remnants of a fort. Boats moor in the bay for its relatively calm waters. The remnants of the fort was one of the forts from the "fortress Bermuda" project when Bermuda was becoming militarized after the American Revolution. This is the only public beach on the south shore of Devonshire.

Devonshire marsh is in the center of the parish and is on the north side of Middle Road. It was originally known as "brackish pond", which gave the parish its very first name before being officially named. It has been hit by human development over the years; sections were drained for farming and commercial activities. In 1996 there was a significant fire in Devonshire marsh, but the area has recovered since then. There are two nature reserves in the marsh area for its protection - the Firefly and Freer cox nature reserves.

Other, less known natural features include Robinson bay, Orange Valley, Palmetto Park, Garthowen Park, and Friendship Vale Park.

Other features

Old Devonshire Church in the parish

Other notable features of Devonshire include Devonshire Dock, Fort Langton, Fort Devonshire, the Bermuda National Stadium, the Arboretum, the Bermuda Equestrian Centre, Remnants of the British Army Headquarters, the Old Devonshire Church, the Gibbon's Nature reserves, Palm Grove Gardens, Ocean View Golf Course, and a Museum of the Old Elliot School. There are also many old, historical homes throughout the parish that one can see, but most aren't open to the public. Part of the Railway trail goes through northern parts of Devonshire Parish. Are less physical feature in Bermuda.

External links

  • Bermuda Online

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.