World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Duke of York Islands

Article Id: WHEBN0006337052
Reproduction Date:

Title: Duke of York Islands  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: East New Britain Province, Ramoaaina language, Auriora Island, Purutu Island, Brumer Islands
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Duke of York Islands

Duke of York Islands
Duke of York Islands seen from space
Duke of York Islands is located in Papua New Guinea
Duke of York Islands
Duke of York Islands (Papua New Guinea)
Geography
Location Melanesia
Coordinates
Archipelago Bismarck Archipelago
Total islands 13
Major islands 7
Area 58 km2 (22 sq mi)
Country
Papua New Guinea
Province East New Britain Province

The Duke of York Islands, (formerly George III of the United Kingdom.

History

In the 1870s and 1880s German commercial firms began to site trading stations in New Guinea. Agents of J.C. Godeffroy & Sohn reached the Bismarck Archipelago from the Caroline Islands in 1872 and had established a trading post on the Islands from 1876.[1]

Geography

The Duke of York islands consist of a total of 13 islands and cover 58 km² in area. The largest island of the group is Duke of York Island, and other islands include Makada, Kabakon, Kerawara, Ulu, Mioko and Mualim.

The island group lies in a seismic active zone, where two tectonic plates push upon each other. Earthquakes and tsunamis are not uncommon for inhabitants of the islands.

The islands are low-lying, and are threatened with inundation due to rising sea levels. On 28 November 2000 the evacuation and resettlement of one thousand inhabitants to New Britain was announced.[2]

References

  1. ^ Linke, R 2006, The influence of German surveying on the development of New Guinea, Association of Surveyors of PNG. Accessed 25 January 2014.
  2. ^

External links

  • Photo from the Duke of York Islands


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.