World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Eschersheim

Article Id: WHEBN0000497313
Reproduction Date:

Title: Eschersheim  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Friedrich Wöhler, Districts of Frankfurt, Eckenheim, Dornbusch (Frankfurt am Main), Bonames
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Eschersheim

Eschersheim
Stadtteil of Frankfurt am Main
Eschersheim  is located in Germany
Eschersheim
Eschersheim
Coordinates:
Country Germany
State Hesse
Admin. region Darmstadt
District Urban district
Town Frankfurt am Main
Area
 • Total 3.339 km2 (1.289 sq mi)
Population (2007-12-31)
 • Total 14,693
 • Density 4,400/km2 (11,000/sq mi)
Time zone CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)
Postal codes 60433, 60431
Dialling codes 069
Vehicle registration F
Website www.eschersheim.de

Eschersheim is a city district of Frankfurt am Main, Germany. It is part of the Ortsbezirk Mitte-Nord and is subdivided into the Stadtbezirke Eschersheim-Nord and Eschersheim-Süd.

Eschersheim, with a historical record beginning around 1000, is a district in the north of Frankfurt. It sits above the Nidda River and on the opposite bank from Heddernheim. The old part of Eschersheim, "Alt-Eschersheim," is situated between the railroad and the public swimming pool. The patronage was held since 1467 by the Benedictine monastery Seligenstadt. Ecclesiastical Middle Authority was the Archdeacon of the provost of St. Peter in Mainz.

The old water tower

Around 1900 Eschersheim, previously a rural village without industry, became a wealthy residential area; it was incorporated into Frankfurt in 1910. In the twenties and thirties Walter Gropius built the new settlement "Am Lindenbaum," around the water tower in the southern part of the district. In the fifties, more living complexes were built.

One of Eschersheim's oldest landmarks is an ancient lime tree planted sometime shortly after 1648 to mark the end of the Thirty Years' War.

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.