World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

Estadio Quisqueya

Estadio Quisqueya
"El coloso del Ensanche La Fe"
Former names Estadio Trujillo
Location 3456 Ave. Tiradentes, Ens. La Fe, Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
Coordinates 18°30′0″N 69°59′0″O / 18.5, -69.98333
Owner Dominican League of Baseball Authority
Operator Tigres del Licey, Leones del Escogido
Capacity 14,469 (seats)
25,000 (Concerts)
Field size Left Field - 335 feet (102 m)
Left-Center - 383 feet (117 m)
Center Field - 411 feet (125 m)
Right-Center - 383 feet (117 m)
Right Field - 335 feet (102 m)
Surface Grass
Construction
Broke ground 1955
Opened October 23, 1955
Construction cost RD$ 3,500,000
Architect Bienvenido Martínez Brea
Tenants
Tigres del Licey (Dominican Winter Baseball League) (1955-present)
Leones del Escogido (Dominican Winter Baseball League) (1955-present)

Estadio Quisqueya is a baseball stadium in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic. It is often used as a multi-use stadium. The Quisqueya holds about 14,469 people after its renovation. The Dominican League Of Baseball Authority is in charge of its management. It is the only stadium in Dominican Republic to host two different baseball teams, the Licey Tigers (Tigres del Licey) and the Escogido Lions (Leones del Escogido). Its field dimensions are 335 feet at the foul poles, 383 feet at the power alleys, and 411 feet at the center field. It was built in 1955 as Estadio Trujillo, during the Rafael Leonidas Trujillo Molina dictatorship, taking the Bobby Maduro Miami Stadium as the design base.

Contents

  • Early statistics in the Estadio Quisqueya 1
  • Rebuilding in 2007 2
  • Plans 3
  • Notable events 4
  • References 5

Early statistics in the Estadio Quisqueya[1]

  • First hit: Alcibiades Colón (Licey) vs. Donald Leston (Stars) Oct. 23., 1955
  • First double: Luis "Grillo" Báez (Licey), October 23., 1955
  • First triple: Bob Wilson (Licey), October 23., 1955
  • First HR: Emil Panko (Eagles), October 24., 1955
  • First out: Pablo Garcia (Licey) October 23., 1955
  • First RBI: Pablo Garcia (Licey) October 23., 1955

Rebuilding in 2007

The Estadio Quisqueya underwent a rebuilding job which expanded its amount of seats and the overall look of the field. The bullpens are now enclosed and out of play.

Plans

President Leonel Fernández announced in 2009 that there are plans to turn the stadium and the adjacent area into a modern sports complex which will bear the name Complejo Deportivo Juan Marichal in honor of the only Dominican in the Major League Baseball Hall of Fame.

Notable events

Serie del Caribe 1972, 1976, 1980, 1988, 1996, 2000, 2004 and 2012

Viewing on screen for the 2013 World Baseball Classic final between the Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico

Estadio Quisqueya in Google Maps

References

  1. ^ Historia y mística del Estadio Quisqueya, Sobreeldiamante
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.