World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Festiniog and Blaenau Railway

Article Id: WHEBN0003322322
Reproduction Date:

Title: Festiniog and Blaenau Railway  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Blaenau Ffestiniog railway station, Ffestiniog Railway, Arenig railway station, The Spooners of Porthmadog, Infobox GB station/testcases
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia

Festiniog and Blaenau Railway

The Festiniog & Blaenau Railway was a narrow gauge railway built in 1868 to connect the town of Blaenau Ffestiniog with the slate quarries around Tanymanod and the smaller town of Llan Ffestiniog. At Blaenau Ffestiniog it made a direct connection with the Ffestiniog Railway with which it was closely associated during its brief existence. The railway was purchased by the Great Western Railway in 1883 and converted to standard gauge to extend the Bala Ffestiniog line, a branch of the GWR's line from Ruabon to Barmouth.


By the early 1860s Llan Ffestiniog had largely become a dormitory town supplying workers to the slate industry centred about three miles north-east at Blaenau Ffestiniog. The quarries at Blaenau were connected to the harbor at Porthmadog by the recently built Ffestiniog Railway and as a result were able to significantly increase their output and profitability. However the Ffestiniog was struggling to cope with the volume of traffic from the quarries and some owners were looking for other outlets for their product.

At the same time, several standard gauge railway companies were looking to extend their lines into the region to tap the demand for slate transport. In particular the Corwen and Bala Railway reached Bala, about 22 miles south of Blaenau in April 1868.

The quarries around Tanymanod - especially Graig Ddu Quarry - were not rail connected and were on the proposed route of a northward extension of the Corwen and Bala Railway. In September 1866 the quarry owners issued a prospectus announcing the formation of the Festiniog and Blaenau Railway Company to construct a line from Llan Ffestiniog to Blaenau where it would connect with the Ffestiniog Railway.

Although initially promoted as a branch of the Ffestiniog Railway, the F&B was built on a formation that was designed to be easily converted to standard gauge when the Corwen and Bala Railway approached from the south.

Construction started in 1867 and the line was ready to open in 1868. In that same year the Great Western Railway began operating the Corwen and Bala Railway, effectively taking it over and running it as a branch line from Ruabon. The GWR also started to plan its Bala and Festiniog Railway to link Bala with Blaenau Ffestiniog and in 1873 received an Act of Parliament allowing the construction of that line.

In 1876 further capital was raised for repairs to the F&BR. The Great Western Railway took the majority of this shareholding through its Bala and Festiniog Railway interest. In 1882 the F&BR directors voluntarily wound up their company and it was taken over entirely by the Bala and Festiniog company, thus effectively passing ownership of the narrow gauge line to the GWR.

The standard gauge Bala and Festiniog Railway opened to Llan Ffestiniog in 1 November 1882 and work began on converting the narrow gauge line to Blaenau to standard gauge. During conversion a third rail was provided to enable the narrow gauge trains to continue operation until conversion was complete. Narrow gauge operation ceased on 5 September 1883 and the third rail was either removed or switched to serve as a check rail on curves. The formal standard gauge opening was on 10 September 1883, at which time the Festiniog and Blaenau Railway ceased to exist.

There were differences in location and names of the standard gauge stations. The F&BR had stations at Festiniog, Tyddyngwyn, Tan-y-Manod and Duffws. The GWR stations were at Llan Ffestiniog (about 30 feet above and north-east of the F&BR station), Manod (probably on or near the Tyddyngwyn site) and Blaenau on the F&BR Duffws site. Tan-y-Manod site was heavily developed by the GWR but as a slate transit wharf only.


Narrow gauge railways in the Blaenau Ffestiniog area, showing the Festiniog and Blaenau Railway

Rolling stock


Two identical steam locomotives were supplied by Manning Wardle of Leeds. These were 0-4-2 ST, works numbers 258 and 259 both built in 1868. They were named Nipper and Scorcher.

They worked for the entire duration of the line's existence as a narrow gauge railway. In 1884 following conversion to standard gauge they were sold to the Ruabon Coal and Coke Company. Their final fate is not recorded.

The two Manning Wardle locomotives were not delivered until three months after the line opened. During this period trains were hauled by locomotives on loan from the Ffestiniog Railway. Further loans of Ffestiniog Railway locomotives were made when the F&BR locos were being repaired.

Passenger stock

Six four-wheeled passenger carriages were supplied to the railway by the Ashbury Railway Carriage and Iron Company Ltd of Manchester. These were similar in size and design to the early passenger carriages of the Ffestiniog Railway. There were also 19 workmen's carriages built by J.H. Williams & Sons of Porthmadog; these were primitive open four-wheeled vehicles.

Freight stock

The very small wagon fleet consisted of an unknown number of wagons of similar design to those used on the Ffestiniog Railway. Almost all the general freight and mineral traffic originated on the FR and travelled in FR wagons. All slate traffic was destined for Porthmadog or Minffordd and it also travelled in FR slate wagons as did the output of all the other Ffestiniog Quarries.


Following the winding-up of the F&BR Company, the narrow gauge railway continued to operate, but under GWR management, until conversion to standard gauge was complete. The stock comprising the two engines, six carriages and 17 workmen's carriages was offered for sale but no bids were received. The stock was then dispatched to Swindon in August 1884 for scrapping and in due course the GWR paid the F&BR the scrap value of £178 19s 8d.

See also


External links

  • Interactive Map at

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.