World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Fluvanna Artillery

 

Fluvanna Artillery

Fluvanna Artillery
Flag of Virginia
Active May 20, 1861 to June 22, 1865
Country Confederate States of America
Allegiance Confederate
Branch Army
Type Artillery
Size Battery of four field guns
Nickname(s) "Sons of Fluvanna"
Stars and Bars
Equipment M1857 12-pound Napoleon, M1841 6-pounder, 3-inch rifled gun
Engagements American Civil War: First Manassas, Peninsula Campaign, Maryland Campaign, Shepherdstown, Overland Campaign, Battle of Gettysburg, Monocacy, Cedar Creek, Waynesboro
Commanders
1st Captain Charles Huckstep
2nd Captain John L. Massie
3rd and final Captain Charles G. Snead
Insignia
Army of Northern Virginia Battle Flag

The Fluvanna Artillery was an artillery battery formed from citizens of Fluvanna County, Virginia, during the American Civil War. It participated in the Antietam and Gettysburg Campaigns, as well as the Shenandoah Valley Campaigns of 1864 under Confederate Major General Jubal Early.

With the outbreak of hostilities following the James River and Kanawha Canal for the trip to Richmond, whereupon arrival, the men were sent to Richmond College for more training and drill. There, the battery finally received its cannons, equipage and horses.

On September 3, cheered by local women as they departed, the Sons of Fluvanna (designated as the 1st Fluvanna Artillery) moved from Richmond to join the main Confederate Army at the First Battle of Manassas. They served in the 1862 Peninsula Campaign with distinction, but were held in reserve at the Second Battle of Manassas and at Sharpsburg. The battery lost a gun and a caisson at the Battle of Shepherdstown covering Robert E. Lee's retreat. In October, the battery was integrated with the "Fluvanna Light Artillery" (or 2nd Battery) into the Fluvanna Consolidated Artillery. The battery saw considerable action during the 1864 Overland Campaign under Capt. John L. Massie, serving from the Wilderness to Cold Harbor.

Transferred as part of Jubal Early's command to the Army of the Valley, the battery participated in Early's raid on Washington, fighting in numerous engagements, including Monocacy and Cedar Creek. Captain Massie was mortally wounded in September 1864, and Capt. Charles G. Snead led the remaining artillerymen for the balance of the war. The unit became defunct, along with the rest of the Army of the Valley, after their capture at the close of the Battle of Waynesboro, Virginia on March 2, 1865. After capture, they were marched to Stephensons Depot. They were then loaded onto box cars and shipped north to Baltimore, Maryland. Their final destination was Fort Delaware Prison. Members were paroled and released between June 21 and 22, 1865.

References

  • Martin, David G., The Fluvanna Artillery, Lynchburg, Virginia: The Virginia Regimental Histories Series, H.E. Howard, Inc., 1992. ISBN 1-56190-037-0.
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.