World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Gibson L-4

Article Id: WHEBN0021100621
Reproduction Date:

Title: Gibson L-4  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Gibson 335-S, Gibson Futura, Gibson Sonex, Gibson J Series, Gibson Hummingbird
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Gibson L-4

Gibson L-4 CES (after 1980s)
Gibson L-4 (ca.1917)

Gibson L-4 refers to several archtop guitars produced by the Gibson Guitar Corporation.

The L-4 was first introduced in 1911 as an acoustic rhythm guitar with an oval sound hole;[1] it was used by Eddie Lang, who also played an L-5.

During the 1930s, the oval sound hole was replaced by two f-holes, similar to those found in other archtops such as the L-5 and the Super 400.

In 1949, Gibson released the ES-175, which was essentially an electric version of the L-4 with a laminated (as opposed to carved) top and a florentine cutaway.

Electric versions of the L-4 (known as L-4 CES) with a carved top and a florentine cutaway, were released in limited runs throughout the 1950s.

In the late 1980s, Gibson reintroduced the L-4 CES, which has been in production ever since.

The current version features two humbucking pickups, a solid carved spruce top, and solid mahogany back and sides.[2] Other differences with the ES-175 include gold hardware, a fancier tailpiece, a different pickguard, and the rhythm pickup mounted closer to the neck.


References

  1. ^ Wheeler, Tom (1992). American Guitars: an illustrated history. New York: HarperCollins, p. 107
  2. ^ "L-4 CES Mahogany". Gibson.com. Retrieved 2010-08-23. 
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.