World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

González Catán

Article Id: WHEBN0023831320
Reproduction Date:

Title: González Catán  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Unimog, Greater Buenos Aires, Mercedes-Benz W114, Colectivo, Mercedes-Benz T2, Royal Canin, La Matanza Partido, National Route 3 (Argentina), Primera D, Good Life Delivery
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

González Catán

González Catán
City

Location in Greater Buenos Aires

Coordinates: 34°46′S 58°38′W / 34.767°S 58.633°W / -34.767; -58.633

Country  Argentina
Province Buenos Aires
Partido La Matanza Partido
Elevation 19 m (62 ft)
Population (2001 census [INDEC])
 • Total 163,815
 • Density 3,189/km2 (8,260/sq mi)
CPA Base B 1759
Area code(s) +54 2202
Website http://www.gonzalezcatan.com/

González Catán is a city located in La Matanza Partido, Buenos Aires Province, Argentina. The city is the second-largest by area in the county (52 km²), and the second most-populous. The city is located near the southwestern end of the Greater Buenos Aires metropolitan area.

The settlement itself is the oldest one in La Matanza County, and was originally founded in 1570 as a garrison by a Conquistador, Captain Juan de Garay. The modern settlement originated with the 1869 sale of the land by Germán Carrizo to Mauricio González Catán, a prominent surgeon and provincial legislator. He set aside the land for recreational purposes, christening it the Finca San Mauricio, in honor of his patron saint. He and his wife, Juana del Carmen Palacios, set aside a parcel for the establishment of the Colegio San Mauricio in 1879, and he died in 1895.

Home to a dairy, an orchard and numerous other agricultural businesses, the town was officially established on April 3, 1910, by Dr. Enrique Simón Pérez, a dentist and brother-in-law of González Catán. Writer Martiniano Leguizamón had La Morita, his home, built nearby at the time, and the opening of a Ferrocarril Compañía General en la Provincia de Buenos Aires station promoted the town's initial growth. The growth in manufacturing establishments in the county from 140 to over 1,600 between 1935 and 1954 led to an influx of migrants from the hinterland, and González Catán grew to become the second-largest city on the county. It social problems increased as well, however, and the city was the site of Father Mario Pantaleo's chapel and day care center from the 1970s onwards. The Provincial Legislature declared it a city on September 19, 1974.[1] The city's socioeconomic difficulties were dramatized in a 2004 film, Buena Vida Delivery.

CEAMSE operates one of the nation's largest landfills in González Catán. Opened in 1977, this facility receives waste from the City of Buenos Aires and 14 Greater Buenos Aires municipalities, and has become a source of health problems for local residents; the construction of recycling and waste-to-energy plants was approved by the county in 2010.[2]

González Catán is also known for the

This city is also known as the birthplace of Argentine Oasis "Sunday Morning" All members also born in Gonzalez Catán. Their singer and guitarist Gonzalo Llamosas, second guitarist Ramiro Paez, bassist Frank Lanza and his drummer Luke Paez.

References

External links

  • (Spanish) González Catán website

Coordinates: 34°46′S 58°38′W / 34.767°S 58.633°W / -34.767; -58.633

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.