World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Harbor Defenses of Manila and Subic Bays

Article Id: WHEBN0000161853
Reproduction Date:

Title: Harbor Defenses of Manila and Subic Bays  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Fort Drum (El Fraile Island), Military history of the Philippines during World War II, United States Army Forces in the Far East, United States Army Coast Artillery Corps, Fort Mills
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia

Harbor Defenses of Manila and Subic Bays

The Harbor of Manila and Surrounding Areas
The Harbor Defenses of Manila and Subic Bays ("Coast Defenses of Manila and Subic Bays" until 1925) were a Harbor Defense Command, part of the Philippine Department of the United States Army prior to and during World War II.

Background and construction

The Board of Fortifications chaired by William H. Taft recommended that key harbors of territories acquired after the Spanish–American War be fortified. Accordingly, El Fraile, Carabao, Corregidor, Grande, and Caballo Islands in the Philippines were to be fortified and incorporated into the harbor defenses of Manila and Subic Bays, protecting the bases of the US Asiatic Fleet and the Philippines Territory's capital and chief port of Manila.

The harbor defenses during World War II

In July 1941 these units were commanded by headquartered at Fort Mills, on Corregidor. This command included Fort Hughes (Caballo Island), Fort Drum (El Fraile Island), and Fort Frank (Carabao Island) at the entrance to Manila Bay, as well as Fort Wint (Grande Island) at the entrance to Subic Bay. At this time there were 4,967 troops assigned to the Harbor Defenses.

Harbor defense units were heavily engaged against the Japanese invasion in 1941–42, particularly Battery Way and Battery Geary on Corregidor, as well as Fort Drum. However, the coast defense installations were vulnerable to air and high-angle artillery attack, and Corregidor and the remaining US and Filipino forces surrendered on 6 May 1942.

Anti-aircraft defenses

Chief of Coast Artillery Major General Joseph A. Green had recommended reassigning elements of the Harbor Defenses to anti-aircraft duty, but this proposal was rejected. The War Department had been intending to send three additional AA regiments and two brigade headquarters, however this was not accomplished before the Japanese invasion in December 1941.

With the exception of those areas covered by the 60th and 200th Coast Artillery (AA) Regiment, the Philippine islands were virtually defenseless against air attack.


Manila and Subic Bays were had Army-operated mine defenses. These minefields were designed to stop all vessels except submarines and shallow-draft surface craft.

See also

External links

  • Fort Drum:Concrete Battleship of the Philippines
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.