World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Huacheng Temple

Article Id: WHEBN0017568118
Reproduction Date:

Title: Huacheng Temple  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Gufo Temple, Wolong Temple, Xingjiao Temple, Baoguang Temple, Jiming Temple
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Huacheng Temple

Huacheng Temple (Chinese: 化城寺; pinyin: Huàchéng Sì) is the oldest and most prominent temple on Mount Jiuhua, Qingyang County, Anhui Province, China. It has a history of more than 1,500 years.

History

Huacheng Temple is the first temple and also the leading temple on Mount Jiuhua. It is said that in 401 CE during the Jin dynasty, an Indian monk Huaidu built a small Buddhist temple here. During the Kaiyuan era of the Tang dynasty, a monk Tanhao was in charge and called it "Huacheng". In 781 CE, the governor of Chizhou, Zhang Yan, got approval from the central government, and moved the old board "Huacheng" to this temple. In 794 CE, Jin Qiaojue died at 99, and fellow monks regarded him as the incarnation of the bodhisattva Ksitigarbha. Ever since Huacheng Temple was dedicated to Ksitigarbha.

In the late Southern Song dynasty, the abbot was Guangzong, later called Guangchuan monk. In 1321 during the Yuan dynasty, the abbot was Zhenguan, later called Wuxiang monk. In 1391 during the Ming dynasty, the abbots Zongling and Fajian expanded it to a Zen Buddhist temple. In 1435, Fuqing monk of Linggu Temple in Nanjing moved to Mount Jiuhua to preside over Huacheng Temple due to his old age. He rebuilt Grand Hall of the Great Sage, Cangjing, Zushi, Jingang, Tianwang and Jialan Halls, and also expanded Eastern Halls. In the Zhengtong era of the Ming dynasty, the abbots Daotai, and later Dugang, Fayan, Faguang expanded Foge, Fangzhang, Langwu, Dizang Hall and Shijie, forming Western Halls. In 1569, businessman Huang Longding of Anhui donated to rebuild the temple. In 1603, the abbot Liangyuan went to Beijing and the central government bestowed purple garment on him.

In 1681 during the Qing dynasty, the governor of Chizhou, Yu Chenglong, renovated the temple and built "Juhua Pavilion". The temple comprised Eastern and Western Palaces and totaled 72 halls. Thus, Huacheng Temple became the leading temple in Mount Jiuhua, called General Buddhist Temple. From 1703-1705, the Kangxi Emperor ordered his close servant to come to Mount Jiuhua to worship the temple three times, making donations and bestowing a board "Superior Place of Jiuhua"(九华圣境). In 1766, it received another board written by the emperor, "Fragrant Grand Temple"(芬陀普教). However, in 1857, the temple was destroyed, and only Sutra Library was left. In 1890, the abbot Lunfa and pilgrim Liu Hanfang and others donated to rebuild four halls. In 1926, Shi Rongxu founded "Jiangnan Mount Jiuhua Buddhist Academy" here.

The government of Qinyang County renovated the temple in 1955. But in 1968, all the Buddhist figures were destroyed. In 1981, the temple was rebuilt, and Mount Jiuhua Historical and Cultural Museum was opened. The preserved collection of more than 1,800 pieces was on exhibition. The temple has a land area of 3,500 square meters. On 8 September 1981, the government of Anhui claimed Huacheng Temple as a key conserved location of historical relics. In 1983, the state council honored Huacheng Temple as national key Buddhist temple in Han area.

Art

Mount Jiuhua has always attracted creative minds; poets and artists have visited here. As a result, there has been a rich legacy of art in the Huacheng Temple. Great artists, poets, and playwrights such as Li Bai, Liu Yuxi, Du Mu, Mei Yaochen, Wang Anshi, Wen Tianxiang, Tang Xianzu and Zhang Daqian have come to the mountain. Their calligraphic works and paintings survive to this day and are now housed in the Jiuhua Museum of Buddhist Relics.[1]

Architecture

References

  1. ^

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.