World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Immaculate Conception Roman Catholic Church (Northern Liberties), Philadelphia

Article Id: WHEBN0027310440
Reproduction Date:

Title: Immaculate Conception Roman Catholic Church (Northern Liberties), Philadelphia  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Fishtown, Philadelphia, Northern Liberties, Philadelphia, List of church buildings in Philadelphia
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Immaculate Conception Roman Catholic Church (Northern Liberties), Philadelphia

The Immaculate Conception Roman Catholic Church is located at Front and Allen Streets in Philadelphia, PA 19123 in the Northern Liberties, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania section of the city. The parish was founded in 1869, under the leadership of Bishop nativist riots.

Founding

At the time of its founding, the area surrounding the church was largely composed of row houses which were home to Irish immigrants (although the ground for the church complex itself had earlier housed a spoke factory at Front and Canal (now Allen) Streets). Later the area became industrialized through the early part of the twentieth century.

In the early 1970s, much of it was gutted by the construction of an increase of close to 10,000 new residents in the area since 2000.)

Twinning of Parish with St. Michael

In the spring of 2000, Immaculate Conception was twinned with St. Michael's parish (two of the 22 parishes twinned at the time) and a single pastor was appointed for both churches. In 2010, a former parochial vicar at the parish, the then-Msgr. Michael J. Fitzgerald, was ordained an auxiliary bishop for the Archdiocese of Philadelphia.

Suppression of Parish: Continuation of Church as Worship Site


In February 2011, it was announced by the then-parochial administrator, Reverend Eugene C. Wilson, and the Vicar for the Philadelphia-South portion of the Archdiocese, Monsignor Kevin Lawrence, that the status of the church would be changed from that of a twinned parish to that of a worship site of St. Michael's; this means that, while the church would be used for Sunday Masses, and occasional sacramental celebrations, such as weddings, funerals and baptisms, it would no longer be an independent parish. This change was completed as of July 1, 2011. The last administrator of the parish was Msgr. John J. Miller, who filled the same position at St. Michael's Parish.

There was no immediate change in the Mass schedule because of the change from parish to worship site: Mass at Immaculate Conception continued to be said once each week, at 10 a.m. on Sundays in the church; on holydays from Monday through Friday, there was a noon Mass in the church. The daily Mass chapel in the rectory had been unavailable for some time, prior to the suppression, because Auxiliary Bishop John McIntyre of Philadelphia had begun to reside in the former parish rectory.

Immediately prior to its suppression, the parish boundaries encompassed the area from Delaware River at Susquehanna Ave. south to Green St. then west to 3rd St., north to Girard Ave. and east to Susquehanna Ave. to Delaware River. Any Catholic living in this area would normally have been a member of the parish. In addition to the portion of the parish in Northern Liberties, much of it was in Fishtown, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

External links

  • Listing of Parish on Archdiocesan Web Site
  • Map and Photo of Church from Google Maps
  • Photos of Church and Architecture

References:

  • Available at St. Charles Borromeo Seminary Parish History Collection CALL NUMBER: PH0062
  • Celebrating Our 125th Anniversary, 1869 - 1994: Immaculate Conception Parish.” (1995.023)
  • Immaculate Conception Parish Centennial, 1869-1969. (MC84)
  • Website listing materials in seminary collection for parish

Coordinates: 39°57′57″N 75°08′14″W / 39.96591°N 75.13736°W / 39.96591; -75.13736

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.