World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Immaculate Conception in Chicago

Article Id: WHEBN0022546063
Reproduction Date:

Title: Immaculate Conception in Chicago  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Polish Cathedral style, Saint Michael the Archangel Catholic Church (Chicago), Martin A. Carr
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Immaculate Conception in Chicago


The Church of the Immaculate Conception, referred to in Polish as Kościół Niepokalanego Poczęcia Najświętszej Maryi Panny is a historic church of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Chicago located at 2745 West 44th Street in Chicago, Illinois. It is a prime example of the so-called 'Polish Cathedral style' of churches in both its opulence and grand scale. Along with St. Michael's, it is one of the two monumental Polish churches dominating the South Chicago skyline.

History

Founded in 1882 as a Polish parish, Immaculate Conception was the first Polish parish in the working-class steel mill district of South Chicago, but it was divided three times to form the Polish parishes of St. Michael the Archangel, St. Bronislava and St. Mary Magdalene. The parish school operated from 1882 through 1982 when it closed because of declining enrollment. It reopened in 1998 under the direction of the Daughters of Mary Immaculate of Guadalupe.[1]

Architecture

The church building, designed by Martin A. Carr was completed in 1899. Like many of Chicago's Polish Cathedrals, its Renaissance Revival style recalls the glory days of the Polish Commonwealth in the 15th and 16th centuries. The church was restored in 2002, with new altars designed by Franck & Lohsen of Washington, D.C. and a new plaza was added north of the church.

References

See also

Coordinates: 41°44′09″N 87°33′06″W / 41.7358°N 87.5518°W / 41.7358; -87.5518

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.