World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

Jean-Louis Pascal

Jean-Louis Pascal
Oval Room, National Library of France, 1916
Medical and Pharmacy School, Victory Square, Bordeaux

Jean-Louis Pascal (4 June 1837 – 17 May 1920) was an academic French architect.

Life

Born in Paris, Pascal was taught at the École nationale supérieure des Beaux-Arts by Émile Gilbert and Charles-Auguste Questel. He won the Grand Prix de Rome for Architecture in 1866, which put him in residency at the Villa Medici in Rome from 1867 through 1870.

After brief service in the Franco-Prussian War, he returned to Paris to assist Hector Lefuel with the restoration of the Louvre, and succeeded Questel as the head of his own old atelier. In 1875, his star rising in the academy system, Pascal was appointed the head architect for the National Library of France upon the death of the previous architect, Henri Labrouste. Pascal brought this long project nearly to completion, contributing interiors and exteriors, the Oval Room, the Salon Voltaire, the periodical room, and the grand staircase.

His other major work includes many monuments and memorial throughout France, the residence and studio of French painter William-Adolphe Bouguereau, 75 rue Notre-Dame-des-Champs, Paris, finished in 1868, and the tomb of Jules Michelet at Père Lachaise Cemetery in 1893.

In 1914 Pascal was awarded both the American AIA Gold Medal in 1914 (the fourth ever awarded) and the Royal Gold Medal of the Royal Institute of British Architects. He died in Paris.

Influence

Pascal may have had his greatest influence as a teacher, both for French architects and particularly for international students who adapted the lessons of the Beaux-Arts to their home countries. Pascal's atelier was credited with a total of four grand prizes and fifteen second prizes while he was patron.

Among Pascal's many students were:

Sources

  • The American architect from the colonial era to the present By Cecil D. Elliott
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.