World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Joo Chiat

Article Id: WHEBN0006714252
Reproduction Date:

Title: Joo Chiat  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: 2010 Summer Youth Olympics torch relay, Marine Parade, Marine Parade Group Representation Constituency, Kampong Glam, SGpedians' notice board/Infopedia articles
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Joo Chiat

Joo Chiat
Name transcription(s)
 • Chinese 如切
 • Pinyin Rúqiè
 • Hokkien POJ Jû-chhiat
 • Malay Joo Chiat
 • Tamil ஜூச் சாட்
Country Singapore
Conserved shophouses lining Joo Chiat Road

Joo Chiat is a residential conservation area in the eastern part of Singapore, and is located between Geylang Serai and Marine Parade Road. Joo Chiat Road is the main road in the area with rows of shophouses for residential and commercial purposes.

History

Before 1917 Joo Chiat Road was known as the Confederate Estate Road. At that time, most of the land in the area belonged to the Little's Family. The road name changed after Chew Joo Chiat owned most of the land in Joo Chiat area. He bought land from the Alsagoff Family as well as the Little's Family to plant spices, such as nutmeg, gambier and pepper which were in great demand by the Europeans. In 1903 he added more land to his plantation by purchasing more than an acre of land for $35,000/- from Henry William Crane. Later, he turned all his land into coconut plantations when copra became the cash crops. His foresight and business acumen made him a wealthy land owner. In 1913 he bought from the auction 5 freehold building allotments fronting the Confederate Estate Road to increase his land bank. In early 1917 Joo Chiat Road was still a cart track going through Chew's plantations. It was a private road maintained by him. Transportation of local produce was by bullock carts. Joo Chiat area was then under the jurisdiction of the Rural Board. When the Municipal Limit extended into Joo Chiat, the Municipality wanted to construct a road for motor vehicles from Geylang Serai to the beach. There was no land acquisition law at that time. So the Municipality offered to buy over the stretch of Chew's land (the Confederate Estate Road) to construct a road for motor vehicles. Chew's foresight in seeing the benefit of a transport infrastructure going through his land, bequeathed the road to the authority without compensation. For his generosity, the road was named after him as Joo Chiat Road. As more people moved into Joo Chiat especially along East Coast Road, there was a big demand for housing. Chew divided his land into building lots and sold them to developers to build houses. Today, Joo Chiat is best known for its colourful rows of traditional Peranakan shophouses, dating back to the 1920s and 1930s, that line its narrow streets.

During Chew Joo Chiat's lifetime, Katong area was confined mainly along Meyer Road from Tanjong Katong Road towards Katong Park. In Joo Chiat area, Katong did not exist then. From 1926 onward to World War II saw an influx of Straits Chinese into Joo Chiat when their traditional enclave, Telok Ayer, became overcrowded. Schools were also established in the area: Telok Kurau English Primary School in 1923 (Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew was a pupil there) and Saint Patrick's School in 1933. New roads linked the area to the city. In 1932, the Roman Catholic Holy Family Church was completed, attracting to the area a predominantly Catholic Eurasian community. Because of its proximity to Tg Katong, the residents who lived at the east coast referred to the area verbally as Katong. Therefore, Katong was born out of Joo Chiat. Chew Joo Chiat was known as King of Katong after his death on 5 February 1926.

Seaview Hotel and the Singapore Swimming Club were also opened in the 1930s, providing the area's wealthier residents with leisure facilities. With the development of Joo Chiat into a small town, the East Coast — stretching from Mountbatten to Siglap — was no longer solely a weekend retreat for the Europeans and rich Chinese and Eurasians who owned the luxurious seaside bungalows there.

After the Japanese Occupation (1942–1945), Changi Market (now Joo Chiat Complex) at Joo Chiat Road became an important trading centre for Malays from Malaysia, Brunei and Indonesia. They traded in food, flowers and spices, which remain a major part of the area's economy today.

In 1993, Joo Chiat was gazetted as a conservation district. As a result, shophouses and bungalows reflecting the typical architectural styles of the turn of the twentieth century have been preserved, as well as many unique and [[straits eclectic

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.