World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Kápolnásnyék

Article Id: WHEBN0011151578
Reproduction Date:

Title: Kápolnásnyék  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Fejér County, Mihály Vörösmarty, List of populated places in Hungary, Lake Velence, Ádám Vass, Viktor Németh
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Kápolnásnyék

Kápolnásnyék
Kápolnásnyék
Kápolnásnyék
Location of Kápolnásnyék

Coordinates: 47°14′35″N 18°41′05″E / 47.24295°N 18.68460°E / 47.24295; 18.68460Coordinates: 47°14′35″N 18°41′05″E / 47.24295°N 18.68460°E / 47.24295; 18.68460

Country  Hungary
County Fejér
Area
 • Total 41.5 km2 (16.0 sq mi)
Population (2004)
 • Total 3,324
 • Density 80.09/km2 (207.4/sq mi)
Time zone CET (UTC+1)
 • Summer (DST) CEST (UTC+2)
Postal code 2475
Area code(s) 22
Website

Kápolnásnyék is a village in Fejér county, Hungary.

History


The excavations in the surroundings revealed bronze-age artifacts, proving that the area was already populated in ancient times.

The name of the settlement originates from the name of the Nyék, tribe (coming to Hungary during the settlement of Hungarian tribes), the first residents belonged probably to a subgroup of the tribe. When István I. defeated Koppány, Nyék became a land of the queen. The name of the settlement is mentioned first in 1193 as Neck. Later the names Kápolnás Nyék, Káposztás Nyék, and Fertőfő Nyék are used to mention this rather insignificant settlement located between Buda and Fehérvár, to the south of the commercial route. As a border village Kápolnásnyék suffered from double taxation during the Turkish occupation (both Hungary and the Turkish Empire collected taxes), therefore the population of the village decreased considerably, it even turned uninhabited during the Turkish camping of 1543. The inhabitants returned to the village in 1772. During the 19th century Upper and Lower Nyék were differentiated, even after 1861, when the Southem Railway was built. It is mentioned as an independent village first in 1871, to which Pettend was attached in 1898.

Mihály Vörösmarty the famous Hungarian poet was born here, and the house where he grew up is dedicated to him as a museum.

The present appearance of the village was formed in the 1930s, when it became a commercial and service background for the booming tourism of the Lake Velencei. The phone system, the gendarme patrol, local medical care, the railway station and the mill were established in this period. The settlement suffered serious damage in World War II, when the majority of the population also died. The village also lagged behind in development, compared to other settlements of the region and became a part of Velence by the 1970s.

Kápolnásnyék declared its independence in 1990 and has gone though considerable development since then. It once again became the background for the tourism of Lake Velencei, where commercial service facilities are established and the infrastructure is developing rapidly.

External links

  • Template:Sister-inline
  • Street map (Hungarian)
  • Kápolnásnyék.hu
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.