World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Kellett KD-1

Article Id: WHEBN0016751515
Reproduction Date:

Title: Kellett KD-1  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Kellett XR-10, Kellett XR-8, Rotorcraft XR-11, Doman LZ-5, Firestone XR-14
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Kellett KD-1

Kellett KD-1
Kellett XR-3 modification of YG-1B (KD-1) of U.S. Army preserved at Yanks Air Museum, Chino airfield California, in January 2008
Role Autogyro
National origin United States
Manufacturer Kellett Autogiro Company
First flight 1934
Primary users United States Army Air Forces
Eastern Airlines
Variants Kayaba Ka-1

The Kellett KD-1 was a 1930s American autogyro built by the Kellett Autogiro Company. It had the distinction of being the first practical rotary-wing aircraft used by the United States Army and inaugurated the first scheduled air-mail service using a rotary-wing aircraft.

Development

Using the experience gained in building Cierva autogyros under licence the Kellett Autogiro Company developed the KD-1 which was similar to the contemporary Cierva C.30. It had two open cockpits, a fixed tailwheel landing gear and was powered by a 225 hp (168 kW) Jacobs L-4 radial engine. After testing of the prototype a commercial variant designated the KD-1A was put into production. The KD-1A had a three-bladed rotor with folding blades and a number of minor detail improvements. A KD-1B which was a KD-1A with an enclosed cockpit for the pilot was operated by Eastern Airlines and inaugurated the first scheduled rotary-wing air-mail service on 6 July 1939.

In 1935 the United States Army bought a KD-1 for evaluation and designated it the YG-1, a second aircraft followed which had additional radio equipment and was designated the YG-1A. These two aircraft were followed by a batch of seven designated YG-1B. In 1942 seven more were bought for use in the observation role as the XO-60. Six XO-60s were re-engined with 300 hp (224 kW) Jacobs R-915-3s and re-designated YO-60.[1] One YG-1B was modified with a constant-speed rotor and was re-designated the YG-1C, it was later re-engined with the more powerful R-915 and re-designated again as the XR-2. The XR-2 was destroyed by rotor ground resonance problems and the evaluation was continued with another modified YG-1B designated the XR-3.

Variants

YG-1 (KD-1) at Langley
KD-1
Prototype, one built
KD-1A
Commercial variant with open cockpit and a 225 hp (168 kW) Jacobs L-4 radial engine; three built.
KD-1B
Commercial variant with enclosed cockpit; two built.
YG-1
United States Army designation for one KD-1A acquired for evaluation.
YG-1A
One aircraft as YG-1 with the addition of radio equipment.
YG-1B at Langley
YG-1B
Production aircraft for the United States Army; seven built.
YG-1C
One YG-1B modified with a constant-speed rotor for evaluation, later designated the XR-2.
A Kellett XO-60
XO-60
Production aircraft for the United States Army with a 225 hp (168 kW) Jacobs R-755 radial engine, seven built.
YO-60
Six XO-60s re-engined with a 300 hp (220 kW) Jacob R-915-3 radial engine.
XR-2
The YG-1C re-designated after being re-engined with a 300 hp (220 kW) Jacobs R-915-3 radial engine.
XR-3
One YG-1B modified to XR-2 standard for evaluation.
Kayaba Ka-Go prototype
Prototype; it was an airframe which had repaired KD-1A by Kayaba.
Kayaba Ka-1
Imperial Japanese Army developed referring to KD-1A. Powered by a 240 hp (180 kW) Argus As 10 engine, airframe that changed engine of prototype.
Kayaba Ka-2
Imperial Japanese Army developed, referring to KD-1A. Powered by a 245 hp (183 kW) Jacobs L-4MA-7 engine, airframe that changed engine of Ka-1 for the same thing as prototype.

Operators

 United States

Specifications (KD-1B)

General characteristics

  • Crew: 2
  • Length: 28 ft 10 in (8.79 m)

Performance

See also

Related development
Aircraft of comparable role, configuration and era
Related lists

References

Notes

  1. ^ "ARMY AUTOGIRO" Popular Science, June 1944, photo of YO-60

Bibliography

External links

Media related to at Wikimedia Commons

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.