World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Kerċem

Article Id: WHEBN0003251840
Reproduction Date:

Title: Kerċem  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Fontana, Gozo, Gozo, Christianity in Malta, Roads in Malta, San Lawrenz
Collection: Gozo, Kerċem, Local Councils of Malta, Towns in Malta
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Kerċem

Kerċem
Ta' Kerċem
Local council
View of Kerċem
View of Kerċem
Flag of Kerċem
Flag
Coat of arms of Kerċem
Coat of arms
Coordinates:
Country  Malta
Region Gozo Region
District Gozo and Comino District
Borders Fontana, Għarb, Għasri, Munxar, San Lawrenz, Victoria
Government
 • Mayor Mario Azzopardi (PN)
Area
 • Total 5.5 km2 (2.1 sq mi)
Population (March 2014)
 • Total 1,938
 • Density 350/km2 (910/sq mi)
Demonym(s) Kerċmi (m), Kerċmija (f), Kerċmin (pl)
Time zone CET (UTC+1)
 • Summer (DST) CEST (UTC+2)
Postal code KCM
Dialing code 356
ISO 3166 code MT-22
Patron saints St. Gregory
Our Lady of Perpetual Help
Website Official website

Kerċem (Maltese: Ta' Kerċem) is a village on the island of Gozo, Malta, with a population of 1,938 people as of March 2014.[1]

The village of Kerċem lies close by to the south-west of Victoria, spread between the picturesque Lunzjata Valley, the green hills of Tal-Mixta, Għar Ilma and Ta' Dbieġi, and stretching up to the Pond of Għadira ta' San Rafflu and Xlendi cliffs.

Archaeological discoveries show that the sizeable area of Kerċem was inhabited as early as the Għar Dalam phase (5000–4500 BC). The Roman Baths and an early Christian cemetery at Għar Gerduf, referred to by Gozitan historian De Soldanis as Roman Catacombs, are also significant discoveries. However, to date, these historic sites are not accessible to the public.

Ta' Kerċem evolved into a village community in the late Middle Ages, around an ancient chapel dedicated to Pope Gregory the Great built around 1581. The site gained historical importance due to the annual traditional St. Gregory procession from the Matrix church in Rabat (Victoria) to this medieval chapel, upon the saint's feast, namely on 12 March. The chapel was, however, replaced by the present parish church in 1851, which in turn was enlarged later on to its present state between 1906 and 1910. Ta' Kercem became a distinct parish on 10 March 1885 by Bishop Pietru Pace. The Ta' Kercem parish church is the only Gozitan church which is jointly dedicated to two saints. As referred earlier, it was traditionally dedicated to Pope St. Gregory, but, since 17 August 1885, the church was additionally co-dedicated to Our Lady of Perpetual Help.

The village of Ta' Kerċem has a population of around 1700 people. Cultural activities include the annual Għadira Fair, which is a popular traditional family fair in the countryside area of San Rafflu.

The hamlet of Santa Luċija, Gozo, although in itself incorporated within Ta' Kerċem, is quite distinct with its rustic church square. Santa Luċija is inhabited by country folk with a few old houses built around an old chapel dedicated to St. Lucy.

Zones in Kerċem

  • Fuq il-Blat
  • Għajn Abdul
  • Għar Ilma
  • Iċ-Ċnus
  • Ix-Xagħri
  • Klula
  • Lekx
  • Sarraflu
  • Ta' Berrini
  • Ta' Ċajplu
  • Ta' Ġanton
  • Ta' Katas
  • Ta' Majru
  • Ta' Summina
  • Ta' Xkura
  • Tal-Warda
  • Wardija
  • Wied il-Ġifna
  • Wied tal-Grixti

References

  1. ^ "Estimated Population by Locality 31st March, 2014".  

External links

  • Awarded "EDEN - European Destinations of Excellence" non traditional tourist destination 2008
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.