World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Kysorychi

Article Id: WHEBN0019953143
Reproduction Date:

Title: Kysorychi  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject:
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Kysorychi

Kysorychi
Village
Kysorychi
Kysorychi
Location of Kysorychi within Ukraine

Coordinates: 51°11′N 27°16′E / 51.183°N 27.267°E / 51.183; 27.267

Country Ukraine Ukraine
Oblast Rivne Oblast
Raion Sarny Raion

Kysorychi (Ukrainian: Кисоричі, Polish: Kisorycze) is a village located in Rivne Oblast, Ukraine.[1] Before the 1939 Nazi German and Soviet invasions of Poland, the village was named Kisorycze and was located in Gmina Kisorycze, Sarny County, Wołyń Voivodeship in the eastern part of the Second Polish Republic. The biggest employer in the area was a glass factory in Rokitno (Рокитне) 8 km north of town, employing 400 workers.

World War II

The village was one of hundreds of sites of mass killings during the wave of massacres of Poles in Volhynia between 1942 and 1945. Polish families were murdered there by UPA death squads aided by the local Ukrainians; as in the case of the Żołnowski family, choked to death with a rope by their own neighbors. The eye-witness account was provided by the Żołnowski wife, who survived by pretending to be dead. The local Polish teacher Felicja Masojada, with Kasper Koziński and his Ukrainian wife Hanka and maid Cita, were ambushed on the road. Hanka (the Ukrainian) was sent home, but the rest were led into the forest by a death squad (sotnia) of Hryćko Kaszkieciuk, Jan Kulpacz "Tryhub", Jan Szeluk, Jan Wołoszyn, and, Konstanty and Semen Kowalczuk, where the women were hanged upside down and dismembered.[2]

See also

References

  • (Polish) Andrzej Mielcarek, Strony o Wołyniu 2003-2008
  • (Polish) OUN-UPA. Formacje zbrojne. Nacjonalistyczne formacje zbrojne Maksyma Borowcia „Tarasa Bulby" from Władysław and Ewa Siemaszko, Ludobójstwo.
  • Magdalena Żuraw, Na pohybel Lacham 20 July 2008

Coordinates: 51°11′N 27°16′E / 51.183°N 27.267°E / 51.183; 27.267


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.