World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

La Capital

Article Id: WHEBN0002394581
Reproduction Date:

Title: La Capital  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Rosario, Santa Fe, Ovidio Lagos, Encuentro Internacional de Escultura en Madera-Piedra-Hierro de Rosario, Agustín Feced, Ovidio Lagos Avenue
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

La Capital

Type Daily newspaper
Publisher Orlando Vignatti
Founded 1867
Headquarters Rosario, Argentina
Circulation 40,000
Website La Capital
Offices of La Capital on Sarmiento St., Rosario

La Capital is a daily Spanish-language newspaper edited and published in Rosario, province of Santa Fe, Argentina. It was founded on November 15, 1867, and it is the oldest Argentine newspaper still in circulation, which has gained it the title of Decano de la Prensa Argentina ("Dean of the Argentine Press"). The name was chosen by its founder, Ovidio Lagos, as a political statement on the part of those, including him, who were lobbying to move the capital of the federal government to Rosario. Rosario was in fact declared the capital three times by Congress, only to face presidential vetoes each time.

At the time of its foundation, La Capital was an afternoon newspaper. Newspapers were just forums of political debate with classified ads. Since the beginning, the heading of La Capital included a motto showing a commitment to public opinion: Las columnas de La Capital pertenecen al pueblo, "La Capital's columns belong to the people".

On 19 August 1868 the editorial building was at 104 Santa Fe St. After that, La Capital turned into a morning newspaper, and in 1870 it moved to Port St. (now Buenos Aires St.). In 1874 and again in 1887 new printing machinery was acquired. In 1889 the editorial moved to a new building at 763 Sarmiento St. and acquired a French Marinoni reaction printer.

A newsstand sponsored by La Capital.

In 1903 the newspaper changed the format of its pages, abandoning the large sheet sizes. By 1905 the daily edition had 16 pages, and in 1906 it offered a full-color 28-page illustrated supplement.

For 111 years, since its foundation, the newspaper employed the "hot type" method, that is, with Linotype typesetting machines where molten lead and antimony were used to cast each line of text. In 1978 La Capital shifted to "cold type", using the phototypesetting method.

In mid-1998 the new publishing plant at Santiago St. near Rivadavia Ave. received its latest innovation, a Goss Urbanite rotating press which weighs 165 tonnes and measures almost 36 m in length. The new plant also features a number of other technologies. Using this, La Capital started a new edition, with a different layout and format, and fully in color.

Besides national and international news, the newspaper covers local news from Rosario and its metropolitan area (Greater Rosario), plus other towns in the region and four other provinces besides Santa Fe, reaching about 2 million readers.

References

  • Online edition: La Capital ::: on line
  • This article draws material from this historical note (in Spanish).
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.