World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Little Rock and Western Railway

Article Id: WHEBN0002702494
Reproduction Date:

Title: Little Rock and Western Railway  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Arkansas, Louisiana and Mississippi Railroad, Prescott and Northwestern Railroad, Genesee & Wyoming, Missouri and Northern Arkansas Railroad, Rail Management Corporation
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Little Rock and Western Railway

Little Rock and Western Railway
Reporting mark LRWN
Locale Arkansas
Dates of operation 1900–present
Track gauge 4 ft 8 12 in (1,435 mm) standard gauge
Headquarters Perry, Arkansas

The Little Rock and Western Railway (reporting mark LRWN) is a Class III short-line railroad headquartered in Perry, Arkansas, and owned by Genesee & Wyoming Inc..

LRWN operates over a 79 miles (127 km) line from Danville, Arkansas to Pulaski, Arkansas, then over 3 miles (4.8 km) of Union Pacific Railroad (UP) trackage rights to North Little Rock, Arkansas where it interchanges with Union Pacific. LRWN also serves as the agent for BNSF Railway to interchange cars between BNSF and UP at North Little Rock.

LRWN traffic generally consists of wood and paper products, grain, limestone slurry, cornstarch, salt, LP gas, and pulp mill liquid.

History

The line was initially built in 1900 by the Choctaw, Oklahoma and Gulf Railroad, and became part of the Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific Railroad main line between Memphis, Tennessee, and Tucumcari, New Mexico, in 1904. When the Rock Island abandoned operations, Rail Management Corporation obtained the Perry to Pulaski line and started shortline service in 1980. In 1986, LRWN was authorized to operate the Danville to Perry segment, owned by Continental Grain Company. Genesee & Wyoming Inc. purchased RMC in June 2005.

External links

  • Website on GWRR.com
  • Link to Union Pacific Website with LRWN Details
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.