World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

Maenclochog

Coordinates: 51°54′41″N 4°47′16″W / 51.911499°N 4.7879°W / 51.911499; -4.7879

Maenclochog
Welsh: Maenclochog
Pembrokeshire
OS grid reference SN0834127337
Principal area Pembrokeshire
Ceremonial county Dyfed
Country Wales
Sovereign state United Kingdom
Post town MAENCLOCHOG
Postcode district SA66
Dialling code 01437
Police Dyfed-Powys
Fire Mid and West Wales
Ambulance Welsh
EU Parliament Wales
UK Parliament Preseli Pembrokeshire
List of places
UK
Wales
Pembrokeshire

Maenclochog is a village in Pembrokeshire, south-west Wales. It is also an electoral ward comprising an area that brings together the villages of Llanycefn, Maenclochog and Rosebush.

Maenclochog lies south of the Preseli Hills, about one mile southeast of the village of Rosebush.

Researchers have found what are believed to be the remains of a 13th-century castle at Maenclochog.[1] The village was served by The Maenclochog Railway formally known as the Narberth Road and Maenclochog Railway which ran from Clynderwyn on the Great Western Railway via Maenclochog to Rosebush. The tunnel just outside Maenclochog achieved fame during the war when it was used as a testing site for bombs by Barnes Wallis, creator of the 'bouncing bomb'.

The Name

The origin of the name Maenclochog is unclear: it may come from two Welsh words: maen ("stone") and clochog ("bells"). Indeed, a local tale reports that there were stones near Fynnon Fair, ("Mary's Well"), to the south of the village, which rang like bells when struck, but these were blown to bits by treasure-hunters, under the mistaken belief that they concealed a golden treasure. An alternative, and more mundane derivation for the name, is that it comes from the Irish word, clochog, meaning a craggy place. Certainly, there was much Irish migration to Pembrokeshire in the early Middle Ages, as attested to by the Ogham stones found in the locality and elsewhere, and the name would seem to suit the topography of the general area.[2]

The Village

The village has a thriving community and has a local committee that talks about what is important to the village. There are two general stores and two petrol stations with an MOT service. Located in the center of the village is St.Marys church, the park and the green on a small road island. In the village there are many businesses that include two electrical wholesalers and an art gallery. There is a school and a carpenters situated about 50 meters North-West from the church. Opposite the green is the local pub.

The School

Maenclochog school is a Welsh speaking primary school built in 1878 that has roughly 100 pupils ranging from 3 to 11. The school welcomes English speaking pupils and sends them usually once a week to a language learning center in Crymych. The current head of the school is Mrs S Clarke who has had her post since 2009. The school uniform is navy blue and black.

Anglican Church

Close to the center of the village is a green, within which is located the Anlican Church of St Mary's. The history of the church is obscure, however at least part of the structure was built in 1806 for Barrington Prynce Of Temple Druid. The current font is fairly plain but may represent an artifact from an older church that once stood on the location. In 1880 the church was much restored when the vestry was added.

References

External links

  • Photos of Maenclochog and surrounding area on geograph.org.uk
  • Maenclochog school


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.