Malgara

For the anti-tank missile, see Malkara missile.

Malkara
Malkara
Malkara

Coordinates: 40°53′36″N 26°54′15″E / 40.89333°N 26.90417°E / 40.89333; 26.90417Coordinates: 40°53′36″N 26°54′15″E / 40.89333°N 26.90417°E / 40.89333; 26.90417

Country Turkey
Province Tekirdağ
Government
 • Mayor Birol Kaya (AKP)
 • Kaymakam Salih Yüce
Area
 • District  km2 (Formatting error: invalid input when rounding sq mi)
Population ()
 • Urban
 • District
Website

Malkara (Greek: Μάλγαρα, Malgara) is a town and district of Tekirdağ Province in the Marmara region of Turkey. It is located at 55 km west of Tekirdağ and 190 km from Istanbul. It covers an area of 1,225 km², which makes the district the largest in Tekirdağ. Population of the town is 25,000 with another 36,000 residing in surrounding villages. The mayor is Birol Kaya (AKP).

Climate

The district has cold winters, wet winds from the Balkans blow hard across Thrace.

History

Thrace was the scene of fighting during the Persian Wars and the name Malkara is said to come from the Persian 'Margaar' meaning 'cave of snakes'. Alternatively the town may be named after 'Malgar' a general in the army of Alexander the Great who built a fortress here after they had succeeded in bringing to an end the Persian 30-year occupation of Thrace. These fortifications remained in use up until the Byzantine period.

Once the area had been brought under Ottoman control it was settled with Turks from Anatolia and a Turkish town emerged which thrived supplying the Ottoman cavalry regiments. Malkara was then used as a place of exile for those out of favor in the Ottoman court including:

  • Hacı Evhat - personal tutor to Suleiman the Magnificent, who exiled Evhat in 1524 when he did not like the lessons.
  • Leading statesman Koca Sinan Pasha exiled for four years here after the failure of his campaign against Iran in 1580.
  • Melek Ahmet Pasha - vizier to Murat IV in the 17th century.
  • Boynu Eğri Mehmet Pasha - The 'Bent-neck Mehmet' who was appointed general (Pasha) after murdering the poet Sair Nefi, who himself had fallen out of favor with Sultan Murat IV for writing the satirical poems called hiciv or yergi. Mehmet quickly rose through the court hierarchy but was ultimately a failure.

The 17th-century Ottoman traveler Evliya Çelebi described Malkara as a tidy hard-working town of 150 houses of tiled roofs noted for production of honey, cheese and leather.

At the end of the 18th century Malkara was the scene of an uprising by the Jannissary troops in protest against plans by Sultan Selim III to replace them with a new model army.

Malkara was occupied by Russian troops in the Russo-Turkish War of 1828-1829, again by the Russians in The Russo-Turkish War of 1877–1878 and most painfully by the Bulgarians for 8½ months during the Balkan Wars of 1912–1913. More than 500 residents were killed in combined attacks by Bulgarian troops and local Greek residents.

During the Second World War the Greek part of Thrace was occupied by German and Bulgarian troops, and as Turkey made preparations for possible entry to the war against Germany, refugees from Greece were sheltered in Malkara and some of the local people sheltered for their safety in Anatolia.

Malkara today

Malkara is a small market town serving the countryside around it, which is mostly devoted to growing sunflowers for seeds and oil. There are also one or two coal mines. Many of the people of Malkara originate in the Balkans and are liberal- and secular-minded.

Places of interest

The village of Yenidibek with its reservoir and ruined Byzantine castle is a popular picnic spot.

References

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.