World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

Manordeifi

Manordeifi (Welsh: Maenordeifi) is a parish and community in the hundred of Kilgerran, in the northeast corner of Pembrokeshire, Wales. The population of the community (2001) was 478. Together with the community of Cilgerran, it makes up Cilgerran electoral ward.

In addition to scattered settlement, the parish contains the villages of Abercych and Newchapel (Welsh: Capelnewydd). There was an unusually large number of substantial mansions in the parish, perhaps because of the picturesque scenery and good angling in the area. These included Clynfyw, Ffynone (or Ffynnonau) and Pentre.

The coracle hangs in the porch, providing a means of escape during floods.

The population of the parish was: 745 (1801): 956 (1851): 631 (1901): 602 (1951): 402 (1981). The percentage of Welsh speakers was: 87 (1891): 94 (1931): 74 (1971).

Ffynone

The Ffynone estate at Boncath belonged at one time to the Morgan family of Blaenbwlan, from whom it was purchased by Captain Stephen Colby in 1752. The Ffynone mansion was built in 1795 by architect John Nash and passed down in the Colby family to John Vaughan Colby. His wife commissioned architect and garden designer Inigo Thomas to improve the house and lay out the terraced gardens. John Vaughan died in 1919 and, having no sons, left the estate to his daughter Aline Margaret, who had married C.J.H. Spence. Spence took the additional surname of Colby by royal licence in 1920 and subsequently sold the property in 1927 to a Glamorgan businessman. [1] The house, in 20 acres of woodland, was bought and restored from 1987 onwards by Owen Lloyd George, 3rd Earl Lloyd-George of Dwyfor and remains (2013) in the Lloyd George family.

References

External links

  • Manordeifi on Genuki

Coordinates: 52°03′N 4°35′W / 52.050°N 4.583°W / 52.050; -4.583

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.