World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Memphis Chickasaws

Article Id: WHEBN0023255569
Reproduction Date:

Title: Memphis Chickasaws  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Nashville Sounds, Luis Aloma, Gene Mauch, Joe Tipton, Johnny Romano, Muddy Ruel, Hank Leiber, Ezra Midkiff, Les Willis, Gene Fodge
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Memphis Chickasaws

Memphis Chicks
19011997
(1901-60 and 1978-97)
Memphis, Tennessee
Class-level
  • AA (1946-60 and 1978-97)
  • B (1901)
    A (1902-45)
Minor league affiliations
  • Southern League (1978-97)
  • Southern Association (1912-60)
  • Major league affiliations
  • Seattle Mariners (1997)
  • San Diego Padres (1995-96)
    Kansas City Royals (1984-94)
    Montreal Expos (1978-83)
    St. Louis Cardinals (1960)
    Boston Red Sox (1958)
    Chicago Cubs (1957)
    Chicago White Sox (1948-56)
    Brooklyn Dodgers (1939)
  • Name
  • Memphis Egyptians (1901-08)
    Memphis Turtles (1909-11)
    Memphis Chickasaws (1912-60)
  • Ballpark
  • Tim McCarver Stadium (1978-97)
  • Russwood Park (1912-59)
  • Minor league titles
    Dixie Series titles 1952
    League titles 1930, 1932, 1952, 1956

    The Memphis Chicks (originally short for Chickasaws) were an American minor league baseball team based in Memphis, Tennessee. The Chicks were charter members of the Southern Association (Class B, 1901; Class A, 1902–35; Class A1, 1936–45; Class AA, 1946–61) from 1901 until November 18, 1960, when the club folded and was transferred to Macon, Georgia, for 1961.

    The Chicks suffered a major blow in the spring of 1960 when their venerable ballpark, Russwood Park, was destroyed by fire after a Chicago White Sox-Cleveland Indians exhibition game on Easter Sunday, April 17. The team had opened the season in Nashville and was scheduled to play their home opener in two days. The team played in temporary facilities, including a high school football stadium, for the rest of the season but drew only 48,000 fans for the entire season.

    After the 1961 season, the entire Southern Association shut down. Memphis was without baseball until 1968, when a AA Texas League team, the Memphis Blues, came to town as a farm team of the New York Mets. The new team played in a converted American Legion stadium that was renamed Blues Stadium.

    After six seasons, the Blues moved up to the AAA International League from 1974–76, but were inactive in 1977. In 1978, two AA Eastern League franchises were transferred to the AA Southern League and placed in Memphis and Nashville. The Memphis franchise was renamed the Chicks, Nashville's team was named the Sounds. Blues Stadium was renamed Tim McCarver Stadium in honor of native son and major league ballplayer and later broadcaster Tim McCarver.[1]

    The reborn Chicks were highly successful affiliates of the Montreal Expos, Kansas City Royals, San Diego Padres, and Seattle Mariners for the next 20 years. In 1998, the Chicks moved to Jackson, Tenn., and became the West Tenn Diamond Jaxx, AA affiliate of the Chicago Cubs. This left Memphis without a baseball team only for a few months, as Memphis, with the promise of a yet another new stadium, AutoZone Park, was awarded a AAA franchise, which became the Memphis Redbirds, AAA affiliate of the St. Louis Cardinals.

    Notable alumni

    See also

    References

    External links

    • BR Bullpen: Memphis Chicks
    Preceded by
    Oklahoma City Indians
    Boston Red Sox
    AA affiliate

    1958
    Succeeded by
    Reading Red Sox
    (1963)
    This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
     
    Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
     
    By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
     


    Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
    a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.