World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

Miccosukee, Florida

Miccosukee
Unincorporated community
Coordinates:
Country  United States
State  Florida
County Leon County

Miccosukee is a historical small unincorporated community in northeastern Leon County, Florida, United States. It is located at the junction of County Road 59 (Veterans Memorial Drive) and County Road 151 (Moccasin Gap Road). Miccosukee was a major center of the Miccosukee tribe, one of the tribes of the developing Seminole nation, during the 18th century.

Contents

  • Geography 1
  • History 2
  • Historical places 3
  • Civil War History 4
  • Political 5
  • Community Facilities 6
  • Groups and organizations 7
  • References 8
  • External links 9

Geography

Miccosukee, like other unincorporated areas in northern Leon County, is an area of rolling hills dotted with ponds and lakes. The large, swampy Lake Miccosukee borders the eastern edge of the community.

History

Settlement of Miccosukee, Leon County, Florida.

The town of Miccosukee or Mikasuki was settled by members of the Miccosukee tribe, a group of Creek origin who had settled in Florida and become part of the developing Seminole nation. The Miccosukee often fought armed battles with white settlers. It was mapped by the British in 1778 and originally called Mikasuki with 60 homes, 28 families, and a town square. Some 70 gunmen protected the town. It was the capital of the short-lived State of Muskogee.

In 1818, Andrew Jackson invaded the village and defeated village chief Kinhagee. In 1831, the U.S. Post Office was built along with schools, churches, and stores. Eventually the area became a center of cotton plantations as was most of Leon County. Miccosukee had 2 cotton plantations nearby in Ingleside Plantation and Blakely Plantation.

After the Civil War, the area reverted to farms and by 1887, the Florida Central Railroad served Miccosukee. During the 1890s, wealthy industrialists bought large tracts of land for quail hunting plantations or estates removing thousands of acres of land from agricultural production. Miccosukee thrived until the boll weevil infestation of 1918. The Great Depression (1929-1935) destroyed Leon County's agriculture and the railroad pulled out in the mid-1940s.

Historical places

Civil War History

During the Civil War, soldiers from Miccosukee enlisted in Company K, 5th Florida Infantry and Company B, 1st Florida Cavalry. The following soldiers are interred at Runners Cemetery and other locations.

  • Pvt. Walter H. Averitt - Born December 24, 1841 in North Carolina. More details
  • 3rd Lieutenant Walter Richard Blake, Jr. - Born January 13, 1836 in Leon County. More details
  • 2nd Corporal C. Washington Branch - Born 1838 in Leon County More details.
  • Captain Isham Miles Blake - Born May 3, 1837 in Leon County. More details
  • Pvt. Leonidas Byrd - Birth date unknown. More details
  • Pvt. John Alexander Cromartie - Born August 14, 1834 in North Carolina More details.
  • 4th Sergeant Jesse Sinclair Montford - Born June 13, 1829 in Leon County. More details

Political

Concord School on Cromartie Road.
Miccosukee Community Center

Community Facilities

  • Concord School - Served as a Leon County elementary school until it closed in 1985. The school yard now serves as a county park.
  • The Miccosukee Community Center is administered by the Tallahassee-Leon County Parks and Recreation Department. The center is used for a variety of activities including monthly "Senior Outreach" days.
  • Reeves Landing is a public boat launching facility on Lake Miccosukee just East of the village.
Miccosukee Volunteer Fire Department on Cromartie Road.

Groups and organizations

References

  • Paisley, Clifton; From Cotton To Quail, University of Florida Press, c1968.

External links

  • 1940 map of Miccosukee
  • Miccosukee Land Co-op
  • Miccosukee Youth Education Foundation
  • Photo of Reeves Fish Camp, Reeves Landing, Lake Miccosukee.
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.