World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Middlesex Sessions House

Article Id: WHEBN0014769993
Reproduction Date:

Title: Middlesex Sessions House  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Clerkenwell, Middlesex, Middlesex Guildhall, Hicks Hall, Inner London Crown Court, Kenneth Wilkinson
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Middlesex Sessions House

The Former Middlesex Sessions House is a building on Clerkenwell Green in the London Borough of Islington in London, England.

History

It was built in 1780 for the Middlesex Quarter Sessions of the justices of the peace, replacing nearby Hicks Hall which had fallen into disrepair. The new sessions house also was for some time known as "Hicks Hall".

The Sessions House served as the main judicial and administrative centre of Middlesex until the creation of Middlesex County Council and the London County Council in 1889. In the division of assets between the new bodies in that year, the Sessions House was within the boundaries of the County of London and was allocated to the London County Council. It continued in use for judicial purposes until 1921 when it was sold and all remaining business was transferred to the Sessions House in Newington Causeway. The administration of Middlesex was later based at the Middlesex Guildhall in Westminster, which was also within the County of London.

The old sessions House eventually fell into disrepair. It has however in later years been bought by a masonic trust and restored to its former glory.[1]

Architecture

The Sessions House is substantially larger than Hicks Hall and was built in the classical style (in the ionic order).

In contrast with the modest sessions houses of earlier days, the new Middlesex Sessions House was built with imperial grandeur in its proportions and decoration.

The dome which covers its entrance hall and staircase is a copy of that of the Pantheon in Rome.

References

Coordinates: 51°31′21″N 0°06′22″W / 51.5226°N 0.1060°W / 51.5226; -0.1060

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.