Mirozhsky Monastery

Mirozhsky Monastery is a 12th-century Russian Orthodox monastery complex in Pskov, Russia, famous for its frescoes, located in the Christ's Transfiguration Cathedral. The name of the monastery is derived from the name of the Mirozha River, since the monastery is located at the place where the Mirozha joins the Velikaya River, on the left bank of the Velikaya. The catholicon of the monastery is one of the two pre-Mongol buildings which survived in Pskov, and contains the frescoes of the 12th century.

History

The exact date of the founding of the monastery is not known. Traditionally, it is considered to be the mid-12th century and is associated with the name of Nifont, Bishop of Novgorod.

The monastery, located 20 minutes walk from the Pskov Krom (the other name for Kremlin), was one of the cultural centers of the city, comprising:

  • library
  • scriptorium
  • icon workshop.

Architecture

The ancient buildings, with the exception of the Christ's Transfiguration Cathedral, have not survived. Now the architectural ensemble consists of:

  • Christ's Transfiguration Cathedral (12th–beginning of the 20th century)
  • Prior’s house (16th—19th centuries)
  • Stefan's Church (17th century)
  • Dorter, literally “Fraters’ House” (end of 18th—19th centuries)
  • Cells (17th—19th centuries)
  • Bathhouse (beginning of the 19th century)
  • Outer wall (1799—1805)

References

External links

  • photos of the frescoes on Flickr
  • photos of the frescoes on Picasa
  • Mirozhsky Monastery (Pskov)

Coordinates: 57°48′20″N 28°19′45″E / 57.8056°N 28.3292°E / 57.8056; 28.3292

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.