World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

No. 2 Squadron RNZAF

Article Id: WHEBN0001683860
Reproduction Date:

Title: No. 2 Squadron RNZAF  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: McDonnell Douglas A-4G Skyhawk, No. 15 Squadron RNZAF, No. 8 Squadron RNZAF, De Havilland Moth Minor, No. 1 Squadron RNZAF
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

No. 2 Squadron RNZAF

No. 2 Squadron RNZAF
RNZAF TA-4K in 1984
Active 1930–1957
December 1984–December 2001
Country  New Zealand
Branch Royal New Zealand Air Force
Role Reconnaissance, Fighter-Attack, Skyhawk Conversion.
Size One Squadron
Garrison/HQ RNZAF Base Ohakea, HMAS Albatross
Motto Maori-Whakatopa Kia Mate, English- We Swoop to Kill
Colors Yellow and Black
Mascot A winged Taiaha
Equipment A-4 Skyhawk
Engagements World War II
Insignia
Squadron Badge A winged Taiaha

No. 2 Squadron RNZAF was a squadron of the Royal New Zealand Air Force (RNZAF). It was formed in 1930 as part of the Territorial Air Force with the main Headquarters at Wellington and shadow flights at New Plymouth and Wanganui. Squadron personnel conducted their annual flying at RNZAF Base Wigram. In 1937 the Territorial Squadrons were re-organised and No.2 Squadron became the Wellington Territorial Squadron.

History

World War II

This Hudson served with 2 Squadron from 1941–1943

The squadron received its first aircraft, 12 Blackburn Baffins, in 1938 and at the outbreak of World War II the squadron moved to Blenheim to undertake its general reconnaissance role of protecting Cook Strait. A year later, in 1940, all Territorial Squadrons were merged to become the New Zealand General Reconnaissance Squadron, based at Whenuapai, Auckland. Within 12 months, No. 2 Squadron was reformed. Based at Nelson with Vickers Vildebeests and Vickers Vincent aircraft, it resumed its protection of Cook Strait providing air cover for troop ship convoys entering and leaving Wellington. Later in 1941, the squadron was re-equipped with the new Lockheed Hudson Bomber and in 1943 re-equipped once more, this time with Lockheed Ventura aircraft.

In November 1943, the squadron moved to Palikulo Bay Airfield on Espiritu Santo, where it carried out reconnaissance, anti-submarine, supply dropping and general flight patrols. No. 2 Squadron returned to New Zealand in 1944, but this was short-lived as it returned to operational status in the Pacific, replacing No.1 Squadron on dawn and dusk patrols and anti-submarine patrols. It was during this tour that the squadron made the heaviest raid by a New Zealand formation in the South Pacific; eight aircraft dropped 40,000 lb of bombs in southwest Bougainville. This second tour finished in March 1945, and three months later the squadron began its third and last operational tour, consisting of mainly bombing land targets. The squadron returned to RNZAF Base Ohakea in October 1945.

During the operational tours of the South West Pacific the squadron was based at Bougainville, Green Island and Jacquinot Bay. On return to New Zealand in October 1945, No. 2 Squadron operated a variety of aircraft, including Hudsons (maintaining air/sea rescue detachments at Whenuapai and Norfolk Island) and Venturas (twin-engine pilot conversion and meteorological flights). Early in 1946, No. 2 Squadron also began training crews for the new Mosquito aircraft to be ferried from the United Kingdom to New Zealand.

Post-War

TA-4K in the colours of 2 Squadron RNZAF; photographed 5 years after the type was retired, this is the only ex RNZAF Skyhawk stored outside
On 11 October 1946 No. 2 Squadron ceased to exist when its name changed to No.75 Squadron RNZAF, in commemoration of the New Zealand Bomber Squadron which served throughout the war in the British Royal Air Force.

The Territorial Squadrons were reformed and in December 1948 No.2 (TAF) Squadron was raised. This squadron operated in a similar manner to its 1930s predecessor with annual flying carried out at Ohakea and Wigram on Harvards and Mustangs. The Territorial Squadrons were eventually disbanded in 1957.

Reformed in December 1984 at Ohakea, No.2 Squadron was equipped with the McDonnell Douglas A-4G Skyhawk when it took delivery of 10 ex-RAN Skyhawks (8 A-4G and 2 TA-4G) aircraft. While stationed at Ohakea (alongside No. 75 Squadron), the squadron provided pilot conversion and operational training, and was tasked for reconnaissance, systems evaluation, and procedures development.

In the middle of 1988 the Squadron received delivery of the first Project KAHU updated Skyhawks for test flight trials. In February 1991 No.2 Squadron was relocated to HMAS Albatross in Australia with the updated Kahu Skyhawks to provide the ADF, particularly the Royal Australian Navy (RAN), with Air Defence Support, participating in exercises with RAN warships. The squadron was equipped with two A-4K and four TA-4K aircraft supported by 50 to 60 personnel. The highlight of the RAN exercises was the successful sinking of the decommissioned Navy Reserve Vessel HMAS Adroit in August 1994 by No.2 Squadron Skyhawks. No. 2 Squadron continued to provide air defence training to the Australian Defence Force until November 2001.

The Air Combat Force of the RNZAF comprising Nos 2, 14, and 75 Squadrons was disbanded on 13 December 2001.

External links

  • New Zealand Electronic Text Centre, Territorial Air Force, 1930
  • 'Supersonic life' is a video produced by 2 Squadron personnel soon before disbanding in 2001; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGlAbo5ko6g
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.