World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

No. 42 Squadron RNZAF

No. 42 Squadron RNZAF
Active December 1943 – Present
Country  New Zealand
Branch Royal New Zealand Air Force
Role VIP flights, multi-engine conversion courses, general transport
Part of CO Flying Training
Garrison/HQ RNZAF Base Ohakea
Motto Māori-Tara Ki Uta, Tara Ki Tai, English-"We span the land"
Colors Purple, white and green
Mascot Wood Pigeon
Equipment Beechcraft B200 Super King Airs
Engagements Gulf War, Iran-Iraq conflict, Somalia
Commanders
Current
commander
Squadron Leader Campbell Hardey
Insignia
Squadron Badge Wood pigeon, perched superimposed on a terrestrial globe on which New Zealand is highlighted.

No. 42 Squadron of the RNZAF was formed at Rongotai Airport (Wellington) in December 1943 to provide a communications service around New Zealand, initially using impressed civilian types. It was briefly officially disbanded in 1946, but its aircraft continued with general purpose operations at RNZAF Station Ohakea (near Bulls). When reformed the squadron was equipped with various numbers of Harvard IIB & III, Auster, Avenger TBM-1, Oxford, Devon C.1, P-51D Mustang and DC-3A/C-47D Dakota.

TBF Avengers flown by 42 Squadron pilots were involved in the first aerial topdressing trials carried out in the world, spreading superphosphate fertiliser alongside the runways at Ohakea. Their main purpose was to tow gunnery targets (drogues and banners) for air-to-air gunnery and for the navy and army. The P-51 Mustang also provided high-speed towing of banner targets, especially for Vampire jets, and was used extensively for co-operation in army manoeuvres.

Contents

  • Transformation and VIP role 1
  • Peacekeeping role 2
  • Future Aircraft 3
  • See also 4
  • External links 5

Transformation and VIP role

The role of the squadron gradually changed to VIP flights (DC-3 and Devon), multi-engine conversion courses (Oxford and Devon), and general transport flying around New Zealand and the South Pacific. During the visit of Queen Elizabeth in 1953/54, 42 Squadron DC-3 Dakotas carried her around New Zealand. In the late 1950s the squadron's inventory comprised only Dakotas and Devons, and in the mid 1960s the Dakota fleet was enlarged to six aircraft.

The reliable but aging Dakotas were retired in 1977 and replaced by four Andover twin-engine transports. Two (NZ7622 and NZ728), were converted to full VIP configuration; NZ7625 was semi-converted and NZ7627 remained in the utility configuration.

To accommodate the reformed No. 2 Squadron RNZAF with A-4 Skyhawks at Ohakea in 1984, 42 Squadron moved to Whenuapai) and absorbed the Andovers of No. 1 Squadron RNZAF which was disbanded. The squadron then had 10 Andovers.

Peacekeeping role

In 1988 an Andover joined the United Nations Iran–Iraq Military Observer Group (UNIIMOG). The detachment of 17 personnel and aircraft were based at Tehran until withdrawn in December 1990. In 1993 three 42 Squadron Andovers went to Somalia to join the United States-led Unified Task Force (UNTAF). Based at Mogadishu, they flew air transport support missions for the force.

Four Andovers were withdrawn from service in 1997 and the remainder in 1998. They were replaced by Beechcraft Model B200 Super King Airs leased from Pacific Aeromotive. This was a new venture for the RNZAF, with a commercial contractor providing maintenance support to the aircraft on site. The workload for the aircraft is multi-engine conversion training of pilots qualified to fly single engine aircraft, continuation training for multi-engine qualified pilots and a limited VIP transport role around New Zealand.

The squadron returned to Ohakea in January 2002 where it now operates five King Airs as part of the flying training wing.


Future Aircraft

The Defence White Paper due for release in the latter part of 2015 will look at the government's long-term plan for replacement of the RNZAF Super King Air fleet. Possible aircraft are the C-27J Spartan or the CASA C-295.

See also

External links

  • No. 42 Squadron Home Page
  • 42 Squadron History
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.